thirteen

CONRAD

Having Belly and the kids in Boston during the summer is like something out of a dream. They do this all year round, so it really shouldn't seem any different, but it is.

They make s'mores at night. They walk by the harbor and Conrad talks to Matt about boats. Belly is holding Henry when she says, "we should buy a boat." It surprises him, but then they start dreaming about buying a boat.

It's the middle of August by the time they had back to Cousins. Conrad can tell Belly is excited to be there, and he is too. It'll probably be the last time they're here this year with nice weather. Belly holds his hand while they drive. Matt is talking about a dinosaur in the backseat, trying to say "brachiosaurus."

Belly leans her head against the head rest, and stares at Conrad. "Matt, repeat after me."

"Ok." He responds.

"Bra."

"Bra."

"Key"

"Key"

"Oh."

"Oh."

"Saw."

"Saw."

"Rus."

"Rus."

"Now let's put a little more together," Belly says back to him. Conrad rubs her leg affectionately.

"Bra key."

"Bra key."

"Osaur."

"Osaur."

"Us."

"Us."

"Good job bud." Conrad says quietly.

"Try try to say it all together." Belly looks in the back seat. Matt is frowning like he's trying to solve a puzzle.

"Bar que o rus." Is what comes tumbling out of his mouth.

"That was so close!" Belly says with a happy smile. "You'll get it buddy, just keep trying."

Matt grins at his mom's approval. He goes back go muttering it to himself and Belly goes back to grinning like a giddy school girl.

Conrad is shocked to see the house open, so is Belly. They spent the days after July 4th shutting the whole house down — throwing out food, cleaning windows and floors, changing all the sheets, cleaning the pool, laundry. Belly likes to keep it in perfect condition for when they come back.

"Stay here," Conrad says cautiously as he parks the car.

"What?" Belly shrieks, "Conrad, who do you think is in the house?"

"I don't know!" He whisper yells back at her. "Just let me go find out."

Conrad isn't actually concerned, it's most likely Laurel, but she always tells them when she's headed to the house, and they talked to her yesterday. Surely she would have mentioned something?