nineteen

BELLY

The gala comes around quickly. It's freezing that night, and it feels like it could snow at any minute. Conrad is sitting on the floor in Henry's room, reading him a book.

He's half dressed in his tux, stalling on putting the rest of it on.

Belly has her hair curled in long waves, her makeup is soft and elegant. She looks in the mirror, and is quite pleased.

She walks into the bedroom wearing a silk slip, it isn't quite time to put her dress on yet. She wanders down the hallway to Henry's room and watches Conrad read to Henry. Her heart flutters at the idea of them having another one soon. Conrad doesn't know yet. Every day gets harder for her to not tell him.

"Look how pretty mommy is, Hen." Conrad whispers.

Henry giggles and waves his chubby hand at Belly. Belly walks into the room to sit down next to Conrad. Henry immediately crawls into her lap.

"Tonight's going to be great, Belly. It always is."

Belly smiles at him, "I just get nervous, like what if I forgot to do something."

"You didn't. You're you." Conrad kisses her neck, "And I'll be right there with you, the whole time."

"Music to my ears," Belly says quietly.

Their babysitter shows up a few minutes later. Conrad puts Henry to bed, and then they both finish getting ready.

Conrad is speechless when Belly walks out in her dress. It's black, with long sleeves and it's skin tight. Belly had to make sure she wasn't showing even slightly. Thankfully she isn't. It has a deep V, almost down to her belly button. It has a small train at the back that makes it even more dramatic.

"Wow," He says quietly, "You are stunning."

"Thank you." Belly responds genuinely.

Conrad takes her hand. He looks equally as handsome. Full tux, his hair perfectly combed. Conrad is perfect.

They thank the babysitter on the way out and head out to the car. Conrad drives effortlessly in and out of traffic, Belly's heart is racing. She wants to tell him so bad, the words are close to just tumbling out of her mouth.

She just bites her tongue, literally, to keep from saying anything.

"Are you excited?" Conrad asks quietly over the music.

"I am. I love tonight, honoring your mom like this."

"She would love it. You know how much she loved a good party."

Belly chuckles, "Yes. I remember."

"Do you know the moment I knew I loved you?"

Belly looks over at him, "Where is this coming from?"

"You just look so beautiful tonight, I'm having a bit of imposter syndrome."

"Imposter syndrome how?"

Conrad drives with his left hand, his right hand finds hers and he laces their fingers together, "Like I am so undeserving of you. Of being loved by you."