thirty-nine

CONRAD

Conrad isn't sure what to expect when Belly joins him outside. Jason has no reason to be kind to them, but his face is soft.

He throws the cigarette into the street and shoves his hands into his pockets. Conrad can feel the tension coming off Belly.

"Jason," Belly says, her voice clipped.

"Hey Isabel," Jason responds.

"What are you doing here?" Conrad asks. It's a dumb question. He's here for his kid. But the thing is, Conrad and Belly aren't going to let him go that easily.

Jason sighs, "Can I see him?" His voice is hopeful.

"No," Belly says sharply, "You can't mess with him, Jason. He's happy, he's adjusted. Don't do this."

"I didn't even know he was with you guys," Jason says quietly.

"What do you mean?" Belly asks. Her voice is still harsh and cold. Conrad sets his hand on her back, trying to calm her down.

Jason sighs, deeply, "I missed his birth, so I didn't sign his birth certificate. Legally, I have no claim to him. So when Taylor overdosed, they didn't even call me first. They brought him straight here."

"How did you know he was here?" Conrad asks.

"I went to see Taylor, she told me everything." Jason looks at Belly.

"You never stopped to consider where your son was? He's been with us for months, Jason!"

Jason flinches at Belly's words, "Taylor told me not to look for them, okay?"

"Maybe because you hit her," Conrad says sharply, his heart rate increasing. He could punch Jason right now without blinking for what he did to Taylor. Taylor isn't Conrad's favorite person in the world, and she's done a lot of fucked up stuff but men aren't supposed to hit women.

"I made a mistake!" Jason half shouts.

Belly sighs, her shoulders falling, "How is she?" She must know the shouting isn't going anywhere productive.

Jason shrugs and kicks a rock, "Not great."

"You still can't see him, Jason," Belly says, standing her ground.

Conrad almost feels bad for the guy, he has no idea why, but he does.

"I've made so many colossal mistakes with him, I just want to make this one thing right. I want to be his Dad." Jason pleads softly.

Conrad rubs his eyes, "We have to get DCFS involved, he's legally under our care, you can't just take him."

Belly snaps her head in his direction, "What are you talking about?"

Conrad looks over at Jason. He sighs, "Can you give us a minute?"

Jason nods, and Conrad pulls Belly by the elbow back into the house. Belly is fuming.

"What do you mean we'll get DCFS involved?" Belly whisper shouts at him, "Absolutely not! He's our kid."

"But he's not," Conrad's voice is soft. "I know you love him, I do too. But Jason is his Dad and—" Conrad trails off, his throat catching.