Chapter 14

"What just happened?" I asked, gripping my milkshake a little tighter.

"Uh, I don't know. Hold on a sec, it might just be jammed." He said, calmly handing me his milkshake and starting to press a few of the elevator buttons.

"Are we stuck?" I asked. I would be panicked, but I had an odd feeling that it would be perfectly fine.

"Yeah... Hold on, let me call 9-1-1 so they can bust us out of here." He said.

He pressed the call button on the elevator.

The phone at the other side rang a few times before a woman picked up the phone on the other side.

"This is 9-1-1, what is your emergency?" She asked.

"The elevator is broken and we're stuck." He said.

"Okay, how many of you are there?" She asked.

"2."

"What are your names?"

"Lukas and Athena."

"Ages."

These types of questions continued for a few more minutes before she finally told us she would sent someone over to help us.

I took a few bites of my milkshake.

Lukas sat down on the floor, having some milkshake of his own.

I slid down next to him and leaned my head against his shoulder.

"You're a good kisser." He said finally.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Why did you kiss me earlier?" He asked.

"Trust me, I don't know." I said. "Um, I was actually trying to run away or something, but my body first feel like listening."

"But you actually kissed me. You didn't just stand there the whole time."

"I know, but I didn't actually mean to." I said.

"But you did."

"I'll pay you $20 to never mention this again." I said.

"No, I'm not just going to forget about something like that." He insisted.

"I'm not saying you have to forget. You just don't mention it again." I said.

"No." He repeated.

"We can't be friends when we have something like a kiss following us around."

"What if I... What if I don't want to be just friends?" He asked.

"You've only known me for 22 hours. I bet you'll hate me after 22 days." I said.

"I don't think so. How about if we can both stand each other, you can pay back the day you owe me and we can at least give each other a chance." He offered.

"If you agree to not mention the kiss." I said.

"But... I will remove all romantic involvements for a month... If you-"

"No. Not another 'if.' I ended up getting into this mess last time you brought up one of the 'ifs.'"

"That was your fault. You didn't have to keep kissing me." He said.

"How dare you blame me? You're the one who turned your face so that I would kiss you on the mouth." I fired back.

"It's your fault you accepted that 'kiss on the cheek,' thing."

"No! It's your fault for making me kiss you on the cheek in the first place." I protested.

"We can just start treating each other like friends. We will start as soon as we get out of the the elevator." He said.