32.

missed me? a long-awaited update is here :)

"Thank you so much again for having me over." I thank his mother just as we're about to dig into the highly anticipated Thanksgiving dinner.

"Oh dear, don't worry about it. You being here and making my son happy is all I could ever want for him."

Del puts his hand on my thigh under the table as I speak to his mother. I feel like he shows that he agrees with his mom on this, and lets me know how much he appreciates that I'm here.

I give his mom a big smile in reply as I stick my fork into a Brussels sprout. I quickly pop it into my mouth, and my tastebuds identify the slightly bitter flavor.

They went all out for this, much bigger than any thanksgiving dinner I've ever done. Not that my family celebrated it, only during those rare times Tamara persuaded me to have her over for Thanksgiving.

I let my eyes scan over the table. The massive roasted turkey is the centerpiece and the main dish here today. Furthermore, there are mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, crab cakes, corn, cauliflower gratin, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and not to forget the Brussels sprouts I'm eating.

It's way too much for just the four of us. I had watched earlier as caterers came in to set it all up, I offered my assistance, but his mom wouldn't let me lift a hand.

"So, Kiya. What is it exactly, that you do?" His dad interrupts my stare at the impressive dinner.

"Oh, I'm a physiology student. I work as an assistant for the physician on Del's team. That's how we met." I add the last bit. I'm not sure if he already knew that or not.

Del might've told them about our relationship, but his dad might have forgotten it, assuming he didn't know what I do.

"You into hockey then?"

"Well, to be quite honest, I grew up only watching football, so I'm not really familiar with hockey, but after attending his matches, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it." I give him a slight smile.

"She is great at what she does," Del speaks up, "been helping our injured players, we can't go without her anymore, or maybe I can't go without her. But the team loves her too—she is our new lucky charm." He speaks of me with pride.

The conversation dies down after that, but I could catch the hint of a smile on his dad's lips. See, his dad is not that bad.

I try to eat as much as I can. Del is basically shoving it into his mouth like a bulldozer. I guess someone is hungry.

By the time we're onto the pies, his mom switches the conversational topic back to us.

"So, what have you two been up to?"

I look over at Del, letting him tell his mom about our adventures.

"We went to the big sightseeing points, you know, visit the empire state building, the statue of liberty, time square, and so on. We had some nice lunches and picnics and went to central park. You know the basic stuff."

"That's all?"

"Actually, Del took me ice-skating!" I cut in.

I don't know why he didn't just straight up told her that.

"Is that so?" Del's father cuts in.

Del clears his throat, "Yeah, took her to the old rink."

"That's good. Always go back to where your roots lay. However, you need to bring her to the big arena one day. To show her where you will end up getting drafted after college. She'll have to come with you here after college, so the least you can do is let her see your future."