-Chapter V-

"Come on. Keep moving!" Thomas yelled to the teens as he waved his arms in the direction up the hill of sand. "Come on, go! Go, we'll lose them in the storm!"

     Once up the hill, the climb being a struggle, they crouched down and looked back at the building as people emerged from it on atvs moving at a fast pace.

     "All right, come on! Stay low! Stay low!" Thomas said turning around and started to move again in the other direction.

     Evelyn and Teresa were holding hands giving each other support as the wind was harsh making it difficult to walk and even see a foot ahead of you. Teresa pointed to a fallen building, Evelyn nodding her head as they started running towards it.

     "Evelyn, Teresa, hang on. Stay together!" Thomas shouted as he did multiple head counts as to make sure he had everyone, this time the girls were running away.

     "I think we lost them." Minho stated.

     "Keep going guys, let's go!" Thomas said trying to keep up with the two girls who were nearing the building.

     Minho let out a huff as he almost lost his footing from the wind. "Where are we even going?"

     The girls made it to the building looking through a broken window but couldn't see much in the darkness of the late night.

     "Over here!" Evelyn yelled as she started slowly walking down.

     "Evelyn wait!"

     "Come on!" She shouted again, letting go of Teresa's hand as she carefully made it down the slope, almost slipping at the end but she was able to keep her balance.

     "No, don't go in there!" Minho said just as Teresa followed Evelyn down.

     "Get your asses down here!" Evelyn said placing her hands on her hips as she looked around and tried to catch her breath. Her eyes trailed over her surroundings that were still not very visible.

     "Where the hell are we?" Minho asked not one person as he turned on the flashlight from the backpack he'd grabbed before they fled the WCKD building.

     "We gotta go." Thomas said quickly as he started walking again.

     Evelyn shook her head. "No, Thomas stop."

     He turned around, his face contorted from panic to confusion. They didn't have time to stop. "We gotta keep moving-"

     "No. Just take a minute and please explain to me what's going on." She said crossing her arms over her chest.

     "Yeah, we're all confused here Thomas." Teresa said rubbing the back of her neck. Evelyn looked at the action oddly as she's been doing the same thing herself, the only pain that hadn't worn off even a smidge yet was on her neck.

     He walked back rubbing his cheek with his thumb, his eyes then locking on Evelyn's. "It's WICKED. They lied to us. We never escaped." He said to which Evelyn nodded already knowing that part. "Me and Aris, we found bodies. Too many to count."

     "What do you mean? Dead bodies?" Minho asked tilting his head at the boy.

     "No, but they weren't alive either. They had them strung up with tubes coming out of them. They were being drained." Thomas said gesturing with his hands to give them an idea, a shiver creeping to Evelyn's skin as she knew what he was talking about having experienced it first hand.

     "There's something inside of us that WICKED wants. Something in our blood. So we have to get as far away from them as possible." He finished looking around the group, Evelyn still confused on who Aris was.