-Chapter XIII-

(A/N: so sorry this chapter is really long but it's important so stick around!)

     Evelyn exited the tent after spending minutes with Thomas, the two having sat in the cot for a bit before they finally decided to get up.

     She pulled a new long sleeve tee on followed by a jacket that Sonya gave to her. Before she could walk over to her group of friends Miles caught her eye, the boy sitting outside the tent alone with his elbows against his knees and hands folded with his chin resting atop.

     "Hey." She said walking over and pulling a wooden crate in front of him before sitting down. "She's okay you know."

     He let out a sigh of relief as he sat back comfortably in his chair, a clear weight being lifted off his shoulders at the news. "Thanks. She's like my sister." He chuckled still fiddling with his nervous hands.

     "Well thank Thomas. He's the one who put a needle in his arm to get her some of his blood. I just stood there and watched." He laughed again at her words before his gaze fell on her shoulder.

     "How's the shoulder?" He asked gesturing to her right arm.

     "A little sore but other than that it's okay." She replied.

     "I don't know if you remember this or not but when we were ten, a year before everything happened, we had climbed a tree and you had this really big knife from your kitchen and you said you wanted to carve out our initials."

     "That sounds efficient." Evelyn cringed at the start of the story but couldn't rack her memory of the time.

     "Seriously that knife was as big as your arm." She laughed again as he ran his hand along his arm. "Anyways, we got as far up as we could go before you started carving your initials as you explained the rules of this tree."

     "Oh like...'must pay me a compliment before you enter here'? Or, 'entry fee; one back rub'?"

     "No but I'm surprised you didn't come up with that idea before. So a few months before this happened I lost my mom and I was extremely upset and just never happy unless I was with you." He pointed to her, the girl pursing her lips and giving him a small grin before he continued. "I remember that day so well because of your rule. You told me there was absolutely no sadness allowed in the tree and if you were sad you'd push me out."

     "I apologize for the actions of my younger self."

     "No, no, no. It actually helped cause then you proceeded to say, 'Even though your going through one of the hardest things a person could ever experience, you're my sunlight'. And now looking back it's pretty cringy but I still say it in my head when I feel worried."

     Evelyn just kept her gaze on the boy wishing she had all the memories with him back because she felt like he was one of the sweetest people she'd ever had the pleasure of meeting. "I came up with that when I was ten?"

     Miles chuckled nodding as she looked at him like she didn't believe him. "Yes and I can't forget cause after that you started calling me Sunny. That did not make me look cool when we went to school."

     "You weren't one of the cool kids anyway." He was taken aback in feign hurt.

     "I'll have you know I could do a total of seven pushups when I was that young." He remarked not able to hold back laughter.

     She nodded at him impressed crossing her arms over he chest. "I hate to admit it but that's more than I can do now. But hey, you had to of come up with a nickname for me too right?"