49. Reckless

Ever since finding out Charlotte developed multiple powers, it worried each of us that she might end up misusing them. Rikki didn't want anything to do with her after the shocking discovery feeling that one with that amount of powers was too much and out of balance.

The four of us met up at the cafe hoping to talk with Charlotte.

"She's not coming," Rikki shook her head, "I'm outta here." She wanted to leave at once and turned to me as if to ask if I wanted to blow the joint.

"Just wait. Give her a minute," Emma told her, "And when she gets here, try and be friendly."

"Friendly? I'm always friendly. Mostly."

If certain situations call for it. I thought knowing Rikki well. She was usually friendly with people she liked a lot.

That second, Charlotte entered the cafe. She had both a startled and relieved expression on entry.

"Charlotte, hi," Emma smiled at her, "You made it."

The four of us approached her.

"Just, we were about to leave," Rikki remarked sarcastically.

"Sorry," Charlotte apologized, "Got chased by a dolphin."

"A dolphin?" Cleo grinned, "Dolphins don't chase people."

That told me Charlotte had been out swimming near Mako. 

"Well, this one did," Charlotte explained, "It was harassing me. They have sharp teeth and it was leering at me."

That also told me she was afraid of dolphins for some reason. It made me think she might've had a run-in with one of the sharks on the north end of the island.

"Charlotte. Dolphins aren't aggressive to mermaids," Cleo assured her as we all went over to one of the booths, "They're our friends. He was probably smiling at you."

"No, he was getting ready to bite me. I'm not stupid," Charlotte frowned.

"The ones to steer clear of are the sharks," I pointed out, "And to avoid swimming on the north end of Mako where it's a shark breeding ground."

She gave me an anxious expression.

"Look, Charlotte, you're new to this and we're here to help," Emma expressed gently, "So if you have any questions about being a mermaid, feel free to ask. Any questions?"

"No," she shook her head, "Everything's fine. It's under control."

"We could give you lessons," Cleo suggested."

"You do have a lot to learn," Rikki agreed sassily.

"Hey, let's not forget I'm the one with all four powers. I can do everything you guys can," Charlotte boasted.

"All this is pretty new to Charlotte," Lewis stated as he approached our booth, "You guys have had like a year to get used to it. Maybe we should just give her a bit of a break."

"Oh, whatever. I'll see you guys later."

Charlotte rose from her seat and left the cafe. Lewis followed her out leaving the rest of us to our devices.

🌊

Later, Lewis arrived at the park after Cleo and I got started in our work shifts. He had brought Charlotte to introduce her to Ronnie to help her conquer her fear of dolphins. I didn't think it was a great idea since Ronnie tended to be extremely playful with anyone he met. Lewis could've taken Charlotte to watch the show instead. He asked for Cleo's and my help in introducing Ronnie to her.