Chapter 5. Past and Future Lives.

Chittorgarh, Mewar

Chittorgarh, Mewar.

1557

"Do you like it?" Rana asked, his hand clutching Jodha's wrist as he rushingly guided her through his Home- pointing at this corner, showing her some ancient wall- showing her the beautiful gardens, the harsh training grounds.
She laughed as Rana's enthusiasm worked to make her giddy. She could only keep up with his long strides if she half ran and half walked behind him. In Pratap's mind, the sound of her payals and her laughter seemed to brighten up the ancient stones of Mewar, in his mind...Jodha fit perfectly in his Home.  

"Like it?" Jodha asked in disbelief, looking around the Legendary Palace of Chittorgarh and she heard Rana laugh delightedly at the absolute disbelieving wonder in her voice. This palace had birthed the most Valiant Rajputs and the bravest warriors, perhaps there was something in the water or the air here that made a person feel braver than in any other place in Hindustan. This palace was the start of the Rajputs... it was a thousand years of History, seeped with blood and vermillion, and its bricks were baked with the burning fire of thousands of Rajput women and the love of its people. 

Chittorgarh had been home to the Sisodia clan of Rajputs for centuries- the strong and fearless clan, in fact, Jodha could name some valiant names off the top of her head that this place had made.
There was Rana Kumbha who was responsible for making Chittorgarh as strong and unbreachable as it stood today a century ago. There was Rana Sanga who even after losing a hand and a leg in the many wars he'd fought still went out to fight Babur- the first Mughal Badshah.
There was Meera Bai, who happily drank poison to prove her innocence and yet the poison did not affect her, Meera Bai left for Dwarka and only years later could she be persuaded to come and teach at Amber University- Meera Bai was now quite old, about 60 years old but her voice was still beautiful and her love for Krishna still pure and abiding.

Finally, Rana pulled to a stop and allowed her to look around the beautiful room.
Jodha looked around the chambers, frowning, something about these chambers felt very... familiar... she shook her head and remembered whose chambers she stood in, whose chambers Rana had been excited to bring her to--Rani Padmini's.
There was another brave Chittori, Jodha smiled thinking, Rani Padmini was a Rajput by marriage and so she couldn't say that it was Rajput blood which made her brave but still, there had been none other braver than this Queen.

Over 200 years ago when Allauddin Khilji, Sultan of Delhi, intrigued by the tales of the matchless beauty of Padmini, Rani of Chittor, of her wit and charm, decided to verify this fact himself.

His armies surrounded Chittor, and the Sultan sent a message to Rana Ratan Singh, Padmini's husband, to say that he would spare the city if he could meet its famous queen.
The compromise finally reached was that the Sultan could look upon Padmini's reflection if he came unarmed into the fort.

Accordingly, the sultan went up the hill and glimpsed a reflection of the beautiful Padmini standing by a lotus pool. He thanked his host who courteously escorted Allauddin down to the outer gate where the Sultan's men waited in ambush to take the Rana Ratan Singh hostage.