18. A Daring Escape

"Thank you, Miss Harrison," Sherlock said, dismissing her from the room and leaving him with Enola. Shutting the book he was holding with a snap, he remarked, "I have never seen such a range of romances in my life. It's enough to turn you to newspapers."

Enola snatched his from him and instantly sat down to scan the personals column.

"What in heaven are you looking for?" Sherlock asked. "Why might you be interested in the personals? You've gone quite mad."

"I've a right to be mad in a place like this," she retorted.

"I was forced into calligraphy as a child," Sherlock remarked. "Hated it, but there's rarely a case where someone's handwriting doesn't tell me something I need to know."

"And what might I learn from deportment?" she asked challengingly.

"The way a person stands may disguise who they are," he replied. "Nothing's wasted."

"Have you found her?" Enola asked.

"No, not yet. I went to the tearooms, where Edith threatened me with a teapot," Sherlock remarked in amusement. "As for Aylie, she is proving as formidable an obstacle to locate as Mother herself."

"Don't find her," Enola said quickly, a tone of pleading coming into her voice. "If Mycroft is doing this to me, I can't imagine what he wants to do to her."

Sherlock sighed. "He is attempting to arrange a marriage for her."

"What?" Enola said in surprise, her brows furrowed. "But-"

"Don't worry, Enola," he said gently. "Legally, he can't force her. He can, however, pressure her until she agrees."

"She wouldn't agree," Enola said. "She loves another, Sherlock, someone Mycroft doesn't overly approve of."

Sherlock considered only a few seconds before he said with a slight smile, "Mr Elwin Tewksbury."

"Will you stop Mother once you find her?" Enola asked without answering him.

"I don't get involved in politics," he replied dismissively.

"Or people, either, unless they're clues," she shot back. "Did you help Mycroft catch me?"

"No," he replied.

"But you found out about the money," she resumed. "You told him."

"You disappeared," he defended. "We had to know how far you would run."

"I'm just a case to you, aren't I?" Enola snapped. "And Aylie too, isn't she? A curiosity. Is that why you're here, to pick my brains?"

"No," Sherlock defended.

"Or possibly you're feeling guilty," Enola cried.

"I'm here because I care for you," Sherlock interrupted.

Enola smiled in triumph for a moment before she said, "You're being emotional. It's understandable but unnecessary."

"Enola, I don't want to turn her into Mycroft, but if you know where Aylie is, you have to tell me," Sherlock said, lowering down to sit on the chair beside her. "I need to talk to her."

Enola hesitated a moment before she said, "I don't know where she is, Sherlock."

.

Church bells across England rang twelve echoing gongs as Elwin rose, taking the skeleton key in his hand. Approaching the lock, he fumbled with the key until it was in the lock and turned. Holding his breath, he pushed the cell door open and slipped out, locking the door behind him again. Then, with the speed and silence of a cat, disappeared down the corridor, to the left, and the flight of stairs Aylia had mentioned.

There indeed was a window, but the moment he had reached it, he had to duck out of sight as footsteps approached from the upper landing.

Just as he closed the closet door behind him, the footsteps drew nearer and a low voice said, "And you're sure he's here?"

"Bloody- yes," another voice retorted. "Now give me my pay or I won't get you into Tewksbury's cell."

Elwin's heart jumped in his chest.

"Fine," the other voice retorted. There was the sound of crinkling paper and shuffling footsteps back up the stairs before the same low voice muttered, "Then, Basilwether."

The footsteps descended down the stairway and down along the corridor. Once he was sure he was in the clear, Elwin opened the closet door, forced open the window and dropped down onto a pile of hay.

"Elwin," Aylia whispered, rushing forward. Pulling bits of hay out of his hair, she hissed, "What took you so long? I've been worried sick."

"There's no time," he replied quickly, scrambling to his feet. "We need to go. Now."

Although confused, Aylia did not question him as they rushed from the prison, through London, and finally to her rooms. Once inside, Elwin instantly began talking in a low, hurried voice.

"Slow down, what's happened?" Aylia asked, catching his hands in her own and facing him.

"Bowler Hat was at the prison to kill me," he said in a cracking, low voice.

All the colour drained from Aylia's face.

"I got away in time, but before he went down to my cell, he mentioned Basilwether," Elwin said quickly. "Ayla, my family is there. We have to get to them. If this man is out for my family, we have to warn them, we have to protect them."

"Then we need to go now," Aylia said. "The first train leaves in ten minutes. If we hurry, we can be there before dusk."

Cupping her cheek, Elwin said, "Thank you, Ayla, for everything."