19. Tried Traditions

They only just reached the train in time before it set off into the countryside towards the nearest station to Basilwether. Aylia and Elwin had claimed the compartment nearest to the back and drawn the blinds, keeping them from the sight of anyone who might recognize either one of them.

It was a long and tedious journey, but although neither of them had slept or eaten in several hours, their energy did not tire. When at last they reached the station, the two of them were practically bursting with excitable, nervous energy. They left the train through the back and did not wait for an instant to leave the station and begin the long walk to the ancestral estate.

The sun was only just beginning to set when they left, but the darkness only set their nerves even more ill at ease as they approached the building shrouded in darkness. Elwin stopped, staring up at it while drawing in uneven breaths. Slipping her hand into his, Aylia nudged him forward. Only the lights on the second floor were lit, but there was no movement inside.

Letting go of her hand, Elwin opened the heavy front door and cautiously looked in. Everything was dark and silent inside. Not even the hum of voices could be heard.

"Should there not be a servant or two about?" Aylia whispered, slipping in after him.

"Normally, yes," Elwin replied, closing the door gently behind them. Raising his voice, he called, "Father? Aunt? Grandmother?"

There was no answer. They had only been walking through for a few moments when a distant low creaking noise sounded. Aylia drew in a shuttering breath as she and Elwin glanced at each other.

"Mother?" a voice called.

"Louis," Elwin whispered, rushing towards the noise.

"Wait," Aylia hissed, grabbing hold of him and pulling him out of sight.

"What?" Elwin whispered in agitation.

"Listen," Aylia whispered back.

Somewhere close to them, they could hear very soft footsteps and the occasional scraping of metal.

"What's happening?" Louis asked softly from the room just beside their own.

"They know we're here," Enola whispered back.

Then, before Elwin or Aylia could decide what to do, a gunshot rang through the air, followed by the sound of shattering glass. Three more gunshots sounded, causing Aylia's ears to ring as she rushed after Elwin to Louis and Enola.

"Run!" she shouted, forcing them to their feet and pulling them along to another room.

Louis shot them both confused expressions but said nothing as they hurried for the front door.

"It's locked!" Louis cried, shoving against the heavy door in desperation.

"This way!" Elwin ordered, shoving them down the corridor as more gunshots rang out.

Enola and Louis ducked behind one statue of armour as Elwin pulled Aylia behind again, holding her to his chest protectively as she held onto him by the lapels of his coat, breathing shakily. Another shot rang out, causing Enola to let out a scream and Elwin to flinch.

Another shot sounded just before Tewksbury fell to the ground beside a blown-apart suit of armour.

"Stay here," Elwin whispered, reaching into his pocket and drawing out his pocket knife.

"Are you crazy?" she retorted, clutching onto him tighter.

"Ayla, trust me," he whispered, leaning so close to her their noses were almost touching.