𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐: 𝐃𝐨 𝐰𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐦

𝐉𝐚𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞

I didn't know how many hours had passed since that wolf came and left. When Aaliyah found me, I was still sitting on the grassy ground. Dry tears on my face. She kneels in front of me, her hands cupping my cheeks, her eyes frantically examining every part of my face.

"Shit what happened, Jas?" she asked.

"A wolf," I said, staring blankly at her.

Aaliyah looked around the area and then back at me. "Fuck, are you hurt anywhere? I'll call for help–"

"A bit in shock, but not hurt," I tell her. But Aaliyah doesn't take my word. She checked me out, which I let her do so she could have some peace of mind knowing I wasn't hurt anywhere.

She grabbed my camera from the ground and helped me up. My legs weren't ready for me to stand yet, so I leaned on my friend as we walked. I grabbed my camera bag from where it was.

I'm still processing what happened. The moment seemed unreal in a way. Even when we walked to the car, I was on edge and Aaliyah told me I was safe. But safety meant nothing right now. She would not have thought that she or I were safe if she had seen how massive that wolf was.

Aaliyah put on SZA to make the ride back into town more relaxed. I pressed my head against the cool glass window. My eyelids were heavy, and my body was heavy too, like sandbags weighing me and my racing thoughts down. I was lucky. Too damn lucky that I wasn't attacked. I couldn't laugh at what happened, but maybe in a couple of weeks from now. This shit for sure would make for a memorable story to tell on a first date.

"Girl, I can stay if you want me," Aaliyah said, leaning out the car window.

I gripped the strap of my camera bag. "No. You go to the game. Tell your brother I'm sorry I couldn't come."

"You sure?

"Yeah," I said.

"See you at school tomorrow?"

"Most diff."

Aaliyah waves bye to me, backing out of the driveway. I unlocked the door to my place and stepped inside. First a cup of tea, then a hot shower, and then looking at the photos I took.

____ 

Unlike my older sister, I wasn't skilled at cooking. She cooked French and Italian dishes. She could have been a chef if she wanted, but her passion was law. Being an attorney for her law firm was more impressive than preparing a bouillabaisse. I ate cup noodles with a few add-ins. Small shrimp, green onions, and scrambled eggs. I scrolled mindlessly through social media for a couple of minutes. Aaliyah posted some pictures from the game. Double tap, comment, and keep scrolling.

My phone chimes and a text appears.

Monica: U home?

I couldn't quite bring myself to delete her number from my phone. At first, she was saved as My Girl with a sunshine emoji. But after our breakup, she reverted to being Monica.

Ignoring her message, I continued scrolling mindlessly. Checked the University's IG page to see what they had planned for this coming month. Double-tapped on something about an 80s party. I sent it to Aaliyah. When my brain rotted from too much Instagram, I decided to get on my laptop and hook up my camera to look at the photos. In total, I had four photos. Not enough to meet the requirements for the exhibit. I sigh, closing my laptop. What am I going to do? I only had two weeks left. I shot Aaliyah a text.