𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓: 𝐍𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢

"So you left your fucking camera with the girl?" Aaliyah asked.

I grunted and rolled my eyes. "I didn't mean to, shit. The other girl, whose name is Dominic, showed up and, honestly, she gave me the creeps. It's like she wants to rip my fucking head off."

"Maybe she does." Aaliyah laughed. 

"Oh, God shut up. Never will I do that shit again. I should have kept my mouth closed. Shouldn't have confronted her about her pointing at me."

We reached Aaliyah's car. Then she asked me if I was going back to get my camera. Yeah, I'm chicken. Because what if she was still there? Maribel, the girl who got hit in her stomach, was so sweet. She doesn't seem like the type to major in martial arts. That seems like the kind of thing big boys and big girls do. But watching her through my camera's viewfinder, she could hold her own for sure.

"Your camera, though," Aaliyah stressed.

"Okay, I'll go back for it."

"Okay, I'll be in the car waiting, love."

I hurried across the parking lot back into the building. The health center was on the basement floor of the building. The place has thinned out a bit, with a few people lingering around chatting. I walked to the front desk and asked the lady if the girl from Curtain Four was still there.

"She left a second ago."

"Did she, leave a black Nikon camera here?"

"Check the lost and found." She points over her shoulder at a brown cardboard box with the words lost and found scribbled on the front. Even from here, I could tell my camera wasn't in the box. So my next stop was the gym. Ask around for Maribel, but she wasn't there. Checked the gym's front desk to see if she had left it there and no she didn't. I sent a text to Aaliyah. 

Me: bitch she and my camera are goooone 😅

Aaliyah: LMAO gitl tf you gonna do?

Me: cry 😭

Aaliyah: well you're about to be crying even more cause I had to leave...😀

Me: Bitch you left me?!?

Aaliyah: My brother had an emergency and needed me to come asap. I'll send you money for an Uber. 😚

Me: No it's fine. I'm going to check to see if Maribel lives on campus. And don't text back. you're driving. 🫡

The campus office closed in the evenings and the online site didn't out students' personal information. I gingerly stepped on the curb, trying to keep my footing. Right foot. Then left foot and right foot again. Keeping with the pattern. I'm snatched by my arm, my feet slipping off the curb. I could have fallen, but the person holding me doesn't let me. I was about to go off on whoever grabbed me, but after seeing who it was, I held my tongue.