Edgerunner (2-2)

"AAAHHH!!!"

David Martinez woke up in a bedroom in a hospital owned by Arasaka.

"...Where is this?"

"Kid, are you awake now?"

A high-pitched voice came from beside him.

David turned his head to see a large man wrapped in black chrome knitting a red scarf.

"Wait, are you the-!"

"You mean the legendary mercenary Adam Smasher? Yeah, That's me."

David is looking at Adam Smasher with a face as if this moment is not real.

"...First of all, where is this place?"

"This is a hospital owned by Arasaka. You and your mother were attacked by animals. Fortunately, I found the wreckage and took you and your mom to Arasaka Hospital."

"So, what happened to my mother?" David asked the second question.

"She is currently undergoing emergency surgery. Unlike you, she was bleeding profusely, so I had no choice but put her into surgery right away."

"...Then, when will the operation be over?"

"I think it's almost over..."

The door opened and a man who appeared to be a doctor entered.

"Doctor, how did the operation go?"

"Currently, Ms. Martinez's surgery has been completed.

Although we have removed the shrapnel from all over her body and performed other surgeries, we cannot guarantee that she will regain consciousness since she has been severely exposed to overwork and heavy brain damage."

David's mother, Gloria, applied to become a city paramedic to help pay for David's tuition at Arasaka Academy.

However, the money she could earn was limited, and in the end, she had to suffer from overtime and extra work every day.

David thought. If he had left the academy ahead of time, maybe his mother could have lived.

"David? Don't worry. First of all, I paid for her one year's worth of hospital bills in advance. In other words, you have been given one year's time. It's not too late to find a way from now on."

At least Adam Smasher's words comforted him.

*****

"I have a schedule, so I'll go first. You go find your mother's stuff and go back to your house."

"Okay."

When David left the hospital, Smasher made a holocall to someone.

-Beep

[...Smasher.]

"It's been a while. Wakako, can you find the Animal's location?"

[Why?]

"Because I'm going to hunt those beasts today."

*****

Adam Smasher was waiting impatiently on the roof of the hospital.

-Beep

[Adam.]

"Wakako, did you find out their location?"

[As you know, there is no specific home base for animals. However, I recently found a place where many animals gather.]

"...Where is it?"

[Rancho Coronado of Heywood. They took over a trailer park and made it their hideout.]

"Thanks for the info. I'll transfer the money now."

*

A few minutes after he hung up the call, a combat AV was landing on the roof of the hospital, standing there with multiple armaments and five soldiers armed with cyberware implant.

"Captain."

"Are you guys ready? Today we hunt animals. The goal is to get rid of them all within 4 hours."

"Ha! That's funny, Captain."

"..."

"One hour is enough."

"Good, let's roll."

*****

Last night, I found an unidentified Sandevistan in mom's jacket, and when I tried to sell it, I went to Ripperdoc all night and negotiated the price.

However, the results were not so good.

The Ripperdac said he would buy the military Sandevistan for 10,000.  The reason was that it was for military use, so it was too dangerous.

"How can I not notice that?"

It seemed that mom had a side job of ripping off chrome that could make money from corpses and selling them to other people.

I erased my mixed feelings about mom starting such a dangerous job because of me and put on my school uniform again.

Fortunately, I was able to use washing machine again by paying the rent from my mom's secret account I found.

[Around 9pm last night, the entire gang of animals living in a trailer park in Heywood was annihilated. NCPD authorities say they were killed in a battle with a rival gang, but citizens it was done by GHOST.]

On the morning news, all the animals in Heywood are dead. I carefully thought that Adam Smasher did it.

He is a mercenary who can easily defeat all of Night City even if he goes to war alone.  Perhaps if it was his actions, everything would fit.

*

"Yo, David."

"...Shit."

I met the guys I didn't want to meet in the morning,

Katsuo and his thugs took me to a dump not far away.

"Drop out of the academy, David Martinez.  You know that too, right?"

"For what?"

"If you're talking about what happened yesterday, I'll apologize right here."

"You think I'm only talking about yesterday?!" Katsuo shouted in anger.

Katsuo has always looked at me as a thorn in the eye, but today his tone is very aggressive.

"There was no law in the school rules that poor people shouldn't come to the academy. But there's one thing I can't forgive you for."

"Calm down. What the hell do you want to say?"

"Exactly! You have to drop out of the academy!"

This bastard is so narcissistic that he now speaks his own language.  And Katsuo's words were getting more and more out of line.

"You're trash! Besides, yesterday your mother came and bowed her head to beg? I heard she begged not to expel you."

"...What the fuck did you said?"

This bastard is mocking my mother now.  Normally I would ignore it, but now he was mocking my mom.

"Beside, how could my mother send you to the academy?"

"Because I supported him."

"""!!!"""

I didn't say anything to Katsuo's question.  And just as he smiled triumphantly, he was startled by a voice from behind.

"Adam Smasher?!"

"What's the matter with my nephew, scum?"

=====

I'm back!

I almost finish my college application and now I have time to restart this masterpiece.

Thank you so much for waiting.

P.S. The reason why Adam Smasher called David as his nephew was just to pressure Katsuo. David is not Smesher's real nephew.