41 | tastes like heartbreak

Jo

"MORNING!" MUM CHIRPS excitedly as soon as I trudge down the stairs and I mumble a half-hearted greeting in response. As usual, I kiss grandma on the forehead and take a seat on the breakfast stool before stuffing my plate with pancakes, eggs and bacon.

I ignore their piercing stares—Mum, Drew and grandma—and I carry on with my breakfast like they don't exist.

"You okay?" Mum asks and I nod without looking up at her. She's still staring at me and I know she won't be satisfied until she gets a valid answer from me, so I decide to cook up a lie.

"I'm on my period," I say, forcing a smile and pouring myself a glass of juice. "You know how these things go, mum."

Drew clears his throat and I narrow my eyes at him before going back to my food.

"Do you need some Advil?" She asks.

"Nope." I say, getting to my feet and moving towards the kitchen to open the cabinets. "I'm good. By the way, where's Woody?"

"Oh, he didn't stop by for breakfast," Mum says. "He left early cos you have a ride now."

I loose my appetite immediately after that and I hastily spread the jam over the slices of bread and drop them in a plastic bag. "That's okay. I'll walk."

She raises a brow. "Flynn's not coming?"

"He won't be coming from now on."

"Did something happen?" She asks with a frown. "I could take you."

"No," I shake my head adamantly. "Nothing happened and you don't need to worry mum. Like I said, I'll walk. I need it." I say smiling a little to ease her worries before hoisting my bag higher up my shoulders and moving round the island. I don't entertain any more conversations or questions after that because I'm frankly not in the mood, so I wave at them before turning around and leaving.

I plug my earphones in and climb down the porch before trekking to school. It's December so of course, it's cold and freezing but thankfully, the semester will be over soon so I won't have to endure this torture for so long anymore. Throughout my journey to school, all I can think about is just one boy and as annoying as it is, I can't exactly help it. And it gets worse once I join the throng of students in the hallway and notice a few stares here and there thrown at me.

Amanda is waiting for me at my locker and once I push through the crowd, I see a particular look of concern on her face and it doesn't make me happy at all.

"Good morning," I say, forcing my locker open and unzipping my bag.

"It's not true, is it?"

"What is?" I ask, even though I'm very aware of what she's talking about. I pull out my history textbook and my journals before placing my calculus textbook back into my locker.

"You broke up with Flynn." I hear Cass's voice next to her and I sigh before pinching my nose with my fingers.

"Is that what he said?" I ask, shutting my locker and spinning around to face them. Amanda frowns like she's not understanding anything and she fiddles with the strap of her bag while Cass hugs her books to her chest.