Chapter 28

Matt's POV

So, this whole dinner thing a week ago was a disaster and it made me question a lot of things.

Well, it's not like I didn't have these thoughts before, but now I think I should really put some distance with Fran's family.

I'm not saying to cut them off completely. That's not exactly possible.

But I don't think I can keep the family act up, because that's all it is. An act.

The dinner last week confirmed that.

Me? My relationship with Zach, and the others, it's not normal and it never will be and I have to talk to him about that.

The next time I see him I'm going to talk to him about the new boundaries I'm thinking of, next time for sure. But why does the thought of distancing myself from him and the boys make my heart hurt?

It shouldn't, I'm not one of them, Ivan hasn't even warmed up to me yet. I have no right to be a part of their family.

So, once I got the opportunity to meet up with Zach at his house, I took it, and here I am today. Sitting across from Zach sipping my coffee nervously.

While I'm nervously contemplating how I'm supposed to start this conversation, Zach starts to talk.

"It's good that you came, I was going to tell you on the phone but since you're here I might as well tell you now".

I raise and eyebrow at him.

He smiles.

"My parents are visiting" he says and my eyes widen. Apparently Francisca's extended family totally slipped my mind.

"Oh" I say.

"Yeah, they live in Italy so they couldn't come sooner because of some issues with their passports and visa but they can come now". He looks happy talking about this. "This is going to make Francisca's day, they should be here any minute now".

Any minute now?!?

"Why didn't you tell me? I could've come by another time".

He shakes his head "it's fine, it's a good opportunity for them to meet you".

Fuck, this is bad.

"The twins know that they are coming but it's a surprise for Fran, they'll be here right after school".

"What? Fran was supposed to come to my apartment then go to your house if she wanted".

He shrugs "yeah well I was gonna call you to tell you she wasn't"

Is he serious?

"Are you serious?" I ask.

Zach sees that I'm mad and has the audacity to look confused.

"What?"

I take a deep breath to calm myself "Zach, I would appreciate it if I am in on these plans of yours before you make any decisions on your own" I say "I'm Fran's guardian remember?"