24- Nightmare

DAPHNE

Blood.

Candles.

Me, covered in black veins.

More blood.

Dead wolves.

Me.

I force my eyes open, I place my hand over my chest to calm my nerves. The same dream. It's driving me mad. I stare at the wall in front of me, my room is dark. Pitch black. I can't see a thing. The hairs on my neck stand, there's someone behind me. Behind my bed. I stiffen as I feel fear creep over me slowly, consuming my being.

I can't even breathe. I can't even speak.

"I will wring your neck and drain your blood!!" An unfamiliar voice threatens

My eyes fly open. Oh. It was a dream. No, this one was different. A dream in a dream. And that scary voice. Before I know it, I find myself in front of Dagon's door.

Realization hits me. I've never actually entered his room. I don't care. I just need to tell him what just happened. I can't stay by myself. I open the door and walk in. It's dark. Pitch black. Like my dream.

The light goes on immediately.

"Daphne?"

I don't know when I run towards him and hug him. Seeking safety. Only then do I realize how fast my heart is pounding. It was a dream. I'm fine.

"What's wrong?" His voice is warm but has a hint of worry.

"I... can't stay alone"

"What happened? Was it a nightmare?"

"I will wring your neck and drain your blood."

I shut my eyes to stop the voice.

"You're okay. You're safe" he mutters.

DAGON

I hear her breathing steady. She's asleep. I wonder what frightened her so much. When the door opened, I was surprised. I was surprised she was here and I was more surprised that I wanted her to be here. In my room.

I feel her move beside me and I look down at her. Her brows furrowed. She's squinting. She's panting. She's scared.

"Daphne?"

"Daphne?!"

I try waking her but it's almost impossible. She doesn't wake up, only whimper. What is happening?! I try to go into her mind and see where she's at but I can't it's like I'm being blocked out.

"Daphne?! Wake up!" I state. Her hands wrap around her neck. Like she's choking.

"Daphne?!"

Her eyes fly open and she starts coughing. I Pat her hair and rub her back. Anything I can do to comfort her. She's crying.

"S-she was choking me." She chokes out.

Who?? What is happening?!

Pulling her against my chest, I wrap my arms around her. I will not let anyone or anything hurt her. I will protect her.

DAPHNE

I stare at my neck through the mirror. At the red marks on my neck. Like someone choked me. Someone did. This nameless woman in my dream. With bloody hands and that scary voice.

Dagon said I was fine. He said he would protect me. Honestly, it reassures me. I'm safe. I honestly don't want to know how a woman in my dreams could inflict bruises on me. All I know is that Dagon will protect me.

The door opens and Sahar walks in.

"Should I get you a scarf?" She asks. I nod.

She fixes the scarf around my neck.

"Daphne? Did you sleep okay?" She asks. I nod. It's a lie. I couldn't sleep. Dagon literally read me Kaida's bedtime stories. He kept my mind off the dream. Honestly, I feel embarrassed that I stressed him out.

"I think it's the stress with the werewolves. You'll be fine" she mutters. I nod. I'll be fine. I know it.

"Um, Daphne, the King wants to see you"

I sit across from the King in the meeting room. The room is empty asides from the two of us.

"The maids gossip and you know vampires don't sleep. You had a nightmare?"

I remain silent. I don't want to talk to the man that handed me to Caspian. I'm only here because I am respectful.

"I understand that you hate me because I handed you over to Caspian but it was for your good"

I don't say anything. I just want this conversation to be over. I'm sure Dagon isn't here, if he was, he wouldn't let me stay here.

"Unfortunately, Dagon saved you. He ruined things yet again"

I look up at him, anger surging through me.

"Dagon saved me. You gave me to the enemy" I state.

"He didn't save you. He cursed you. I asked you to return but you didn't listen and now...it seems you've fallen for Dagon's charms and he has fallen for you. The both of you will break the prophecy and the wrath will be upon one of you...I wasn't sure until I heard about your disturbing dreams"

He's a liar.

"I don't care about the prophecy. I don't believe in it."

"The longer you stay with him, the closer you get to him, the fiercer your dreams will be until you break the prophecy. If the prophecy breaks, judging by your dreams, you will die"

"How convenient for you. Of course, you blame everything on Dagon. I don't believe you. You're a liar"

I stand up to leave but he's in front of me in seconds. The King rips the scarf away from my neck.

"How can you see these marks and call me a liar? Dagon will ruin you" He questions.

"It's impossible for someone in my dream to hurt me physically. How do I know you weren't behind it? How do I know you didn't get into my head?" I question.

I didn't think of this. The King hates Dagon so much that he would do anything to prove Dagon is a problem. If Dagon could enter my head and help me remember then the King can enter my head and make me see things. Feel things. Like fear. I don't trust him.

"I'm not the villain. I know Dagon says he can fix things and protect you but-"

"No. To you, he's a monster. To me, he's my protector. I trust him"

The King is a liar. I know it. I walk out of the room with that fact.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Who's right? Daphne? Or the King?

Please don't forget to vote, share, comment, and follow me here on Wattpad.

Xoxo.