Chapter:03 Three

My mother spent the whole night baking a cake for my father's birthday and when i walked into the kitchen I found her crying while holding a picture of him in her hands.

I wrapped my arms around her to calm her down. "Don't worry about me dear, I'm okay it just a little tears your father wouldn't want me to be mourning his death on his birthday." She wiped the tears on her cheeks using her palm.

"I know he wouldn't mom." I whispered under my breath.

"Mom i will be at bookstore with Kelly."I imformed her as I let go of her." Okay dear, Come back before the sunsets for your father's birthday dinner later."She instructed me and I nod kissing her goodbye on the cheek before making my way out the house.

It was not raining for the first time since summer began and the sun was out. I made my way next door to Kelly's house to get her.

I knocked on the door and she opened the door with a smile on her face. "How are you love?" She asked me as she stepped out of the house closing the door behind her.

"I'm okay." I replied to her as we began walking to the bookstore.

"Did you text Theo?" She asked and I nod

"Did he reply?" She asked and I nod.

"Let me guess he blocked you?" She asked and I nod.

"See I told you he does not want friends, I don't even think he likes people." She stated. "Maybe but I will not give up on him." I stated.

"Addy, I love you but sometimes you are too kind." She stated. "Sometimes all someone needs is a little bit of kindness." I replied.

The bookstore was next to a music store and as we were passing i saw Theo in the store, he looked like he was looking around. A smile formed on my face as i realized this was my chance.

"I will be right back. Meet you at the bookstore." I said as i began to walk into the music store, I heard Kelly say 'oh no' probably realizing who i was going to.

I entered the store and pretend that I was looking at something but I'm pretty sure Theo realized i was pretending because he walked up to me and looked at me.

He appeared taller now that he was standing right next to me. He took out his phone and typed something on it. Right after he was done i received a message from him on my phone.

He had unblocked me and sent me a message.

Theo:What are you doing here, and why won't you leave me alone?

Adalyn :If you agree to become my friend I will leave you alone, well mostly alone.

Theo:I don't want to be your friend

Adalyn : okay then I guess I will never leave you alone, goodbye.

I was about to walk out of the store when I got a message from him.

Theo: Okay, I will be your friend.

I looked at him and smiled and he glared at me in return. I walked out of the store with a big smile on my face.

I made my way to the bookstore and practically barged in. Kelly was standing by the fantasy section looking at books, fantasy was her favorite genre.

I ran up to her and jumped in excitement. She looked at me while raising one eyebrow. "I was able to befriend him and now i am going to make him experience the joy of a friendship." I said in excitement.

Even though I said I would leave him alone if we became friends but I did not promise.

We spent two hours in the bookstore picking out a bunch of books. The good thing about Riverstone is that books were on the cheaper side of things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took a deep breath before walking down the stairs i wore a nice dress for my father's birthday dinner his seventh birthday dinner without him.

The people who attended his birthday dinner each year where Kelly and her parents only. My parents don't have good relationships with their families and when they got married they left home and moved to Riverstone and raised me here.

Kelly's dad and my dad were best friends we met through them.

I entered the Dining room and everyone looked at me while I took my seat.

"How about we start by saying something about James before we begin." My mother suggested and one by one everyone got up and talked about him I couldn't hold it anylonger and when it was my turn to speak tears rolled down my cheeks similar to the racing raindrops from yesterday.

" Dad-"I took a deep breath as my mind went blank." It's okay dear you don't have to say anything. "My mother told me.

" No, I want to. Dad, dad was the best father i could have ever asked for and the fact that it has been seven years since i last saw him pains me i have never needed him in my life as much as i do now. I need him so much, I need my dad. "I said before sitting back down.

I need him, nine year old Adalyn needed him. She was strong, stronger than I could ever be. She always looked out for others forgetting to look out for herself and to this day i still do.