THIRTY-ONE

loïse madden

.  .  .  .  .  .

Sebastian closes the trunk after loading in our suitcases and we get inside the car. I'm kind of sad that we'll be leaving, but also happy to see Luna and Crystal again. I feel like I haven't talked to them in ages. 

After giving me a sweater of his (I was just not prepared for this cold weather), Sebastian starts the car and we drive off. It's a 4 hour car ride, which isn't too bad. So, I put on a Taylor Swift playlist. In 4 hours, we should be able to listen to Fearless, Speak Now and Folklore. Maybe even 1989 if we're lucky. 

Sebastian's come to the point when he understood that throwing a fit because of my music taste is not gonna help. So now he only rolls his eyes when he sees "The way I loved you" appear on the car screen. 

After a few hours though, I fall asleep. I don't know what it is with car rides, but they always make me super sleepy. I wake up hours later, when the car's no longer moving. 

I rub my eyes and recognize a little shop in front of us. 

"Slept well?", Sebastian asks, pressing a little kiss on top of my hand. I nod in response. 

"Why'd we stop?", I ask, then. He only gives me a shrug. 

"Thought you'd be hungry." Now that he mentions it, my stomach is growling like a whale so something to eat wouldn't be wrong. 

We get out and wander into the small shop. It's kind of rainy outside and inside the shop hangs a chilly sphere. I don't know what it is, but I won't be complaining about it when we get out of here. The man behind the counter is looking at us creepily when we walk in. 

"I'm just gonna get Sour patch for you and some other snacks, okay? Get yourself a drink in the meantime and take some Nalu for me with you", he presses a kiss on top of my head. Well actually, on top of his sweater since I decided to pull on the hood. 

He walks all the way to the back of the store while I get him his drink and a bottle of water for me. I already go to the counter to pay for these, while Sebastian is really taking his time with the snacks. 

"Hi", I greet the man quietly. He gives me a weird smirk in return. I only stare at the drinks on top of the counter as he scans them, very slowly. I can feel his eyes on me. 

"Pretty young lady", the man addresses, while putting the drinks in a small bag. I give him an uncomfortable smile. This doesn't make you feel very relaxed when it's coming from a 50 year old, dirty man who smells like cigarettes and alcohol. 

"Don't gotta be so shy, baby", he goes on. 

"How much is it?", I change the subject. The man's eyes narrow. 

"Isn't your little boy over there gonna pay for that? I wouldn't let you pay a thing if I was dating such a smokin' hot girl like you."

"He'll pay for the food", I tell him shortly. "So... how much?"

"Woah, you don't gotta be such a bitch about it. I was only joking."

"Well, I don't find it funny", I speak up. "How much is it, or it will be free if you don't answer me."

"It can be free if you want to, baby. You can pay differently", he winks. "Y'know, I have some nice bathrooms out there for us."