5

The air had a light breeze to it and the low sun made your face glee with gold. You sat by the lake again, losing yourself in the sounds of leaves rustling and faint cricket buzzes.

Your feet were just barely covered with water as you decided to dip them in the lake you once called home. You sighed with your head resting on your knees as you hugged your legs.

You made small ripples in the lake, tapping your feet up and down gently, trying not to draw the attention of the fish who once saw you as a friend.

"There you are"

You lift your head up slightly to watch as Astarion came walking towards you. He sat next to you, a little further back as he didn't want to get his feet wet.

"You've been awfully quite these past few hours" his voice wasn't usually this calm and gentle and you caught your heart beginning to drip and melt.

"I've just been, thinking...it's nothing really" you respond in the same tone.

"Surely it's something, you're here at this exact time everyday, just before the sun sets you come down here and ponder"

You don't say a word and slowly push yourself back so that you're sitting right beside Astarion.

You take a second to yourself, watching the birds fly up to their nests to rest for the night.

"This used to be my home" you say, looking at him and back at the lake.

"What are you implying? Are you saying you're a mermaid, because I call bullshi-"

"No, Astarion... I'm a siren"

Astarion falls silent. Suddenly he hasn't got much to say. You take a minute before looking at him, scanning his face for any sign of emotion.

"Don't ever call me a mermaid. I'm far from one and not half as dangerous. You'd think they're beautiful creatures, long scaled tails which sparkle under the water, long lushes hair that sway with every sea current-" you stop yourself rambling on and realise your face getting hot as your blood boiled.

"...they got rid of me, banished me for ever stepping foot in their waters ever again. We're rare creature, there's not a lot of us and they just happened to seek me out."

You look back at Astarion to see him just staring at you, not in fear, but with curiosity and admiration.

He became aware of the glistening patterns of swirls that happened to cascade through your skin. They glowed brighter as the sun lowered, moonlight reflecting off of them.

He didn't touch, just looked at them and followed where the lines travelled with his eyes.

You could feel his eyes travelling all over your body and you began to feel a little conscious and cradles yourself tighter.

Astarion realised and quickly blinked away and cleared his throat.

"Us elves told stories of your kind, how you lure men into the sea and drown them with your voice..." he talks.

You smile a little, remembering the time you yourself lured a whole ship of men to you, ending it with the ship wreck at the bottom of the great ocean.

You jolt slightly at the touch of Astarions finger tips grazing your ear, he tucks a stray strand of hair behind it, revealing an almost spiked shape ear, clearly resembling you where from the waters. His eyes traveled down to your hands which you where hiding under your thighs, something he noticed you do a lot. He pull them out from under you and separates each finger, displaying the thin piece of skin connecting them to make them webbed.

He didn't let go of your hand for a good few minutes before realising he was probably acting weird. He clears his throat and puts his hands back on his lap.

"I'm not sure how I didn't notice, I'm usually strong at seeking these things out"

You rubbed your fingertips together and grazed your fingers over where he tucked your hair. Your skin glowed a gentle red, but soon covered your cheeks up with your hair.

"You know, we also used to tell stories about the songs you would sing, of course if I sing it, it wouldn't have as near the same effect on you if you where to do it to me"

You let out a small breathy laugh.

"In all fairness I could sing any song and it ending up with the same result" you smile at him and he lets a small laugh escape his lips also, showcasing his sharp fangs.

It was just as if it was impulse but you reach over to press your finger underneath his fang, lifting his upper lip up slightly.

"A-ah, careful, I bite"

You move away from him a little.

"Sorry" you say under your breathe, letting your hair fall in front of you face to cover it.

"I'm more than okay with it my darling, it's healthy to admire another" Astarion smiles, leaning his head down to meet yours.

The sun had set and the sound of crickets got louder. You heard laughter and shouts from above you and figured it was about time you and Astarion got back to the others.

"You know, I could sing you a song...if you'd like, I won't kill you! I-i mean I don't have the seas help anymore to drown men, so it would be no harm" you hesitate to ask, you'd love to sing sitting by the campfire and with the whole group in fact.

"Of course you can dear, i could use a lullaby"

——————————

857 words

I'm so incredibly sorry that I haven't uploaded in a week, I've just started college and things got stressful very quick so I appreciate everyone who where able to bare with me and wait for another chapter to come out.
Thank you for 1k reads! :D