Chapter 41 - Doc

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

I backed away from everyone during Grace's moment. I was on a full link with Holly, so she could hear through my bond as she kept us safe. Sands was still on lockdown in his packhouse, but I didn't trust him. Thankfully, no unknown wolves were within a ten-mile radius, and all was quiet.

Once the new mates came out to meet the pack, I could tell within minutes that they were both exhausted and gave a tiny hint to Blood Alpha Sinclair to send them for a nap.

He snickered as he gathered everyone's attention and said a few words of praise for the happy couple before sending them to bed.

The Alpha commands not to shift will stay for the day until the bond settles down. An open-air jeep was waiting to take them back to the castle. I loaded her overnight bag into it before giving her a side hug and kiss on the head as her mate was not letting her go.

My feelings are mixed as I'm so happy for our little one, but I'm having trouble watching her drive away. I wonder if my parents felt this way when I left.

My birth parents are still living, and I see them occasionally, but we don't have the greatest relationship. We tend to baffle each other.

They are farmers who love nature and grow food for the tribe and anyone who needs it. My father is an Omega, and my mother is a Delta. They never understood me and my love for science. When I proved to be a prodigy with my nose in any book I could find, they said it was in my best interest to go to the Blood Alpha.

They were right. I was only three when I went to live with him and the Luna. The amount of learning I was allowed was crazy, and within days, I informed them I would be a doctor and demanded everyone call me Dr. Cooper, adopting my new last name. They obliged, but it was shortened to Doc within a week or two, which I still use.

No one was surprised when I emerged as an Elemental or the Ph.D. I worked hard for in Physics. Although, they may have been a bit taken aback when I started pranking everyone. I always made sure nothing was harmful, but a few were messy. After cleaning up my third glitter bomb, I stopped using those. Definitely not worth it.

My mind drifts back to when Grace arrived at our home. I knew many kids had been saved, but most stayed in the infirmary for months, so I had lost interest. I was very serious then and wanted nothing more than my books.

She was so cute and tiny. She didn't eat and always needed a Gamma or an Omega with her. She loved to read and would inhale any book within reach. She tested in the prodigy range, so we were put in the same classes with her several years behind me, but she caught up within about four years. It would have been sooner, but the Gammas took much of her time.

She had many triggers, such as seeing a baby bottle and nightmares several times a night. She slowly emerged from her shell while working through her memories with the Gammas. She played with her bear or built something with blocks when she wasn't reading.

She still has every type of toy block ever made. She likes the magnet ones best as they hold better if she gets creative. Her status as a Little was confusing to her at first until we gave her some books on Littles.

When I met her, she still acted like she was between two and three years old. That's about five to six in human years. As she got older, her Little age never changed.

My pranks started slow, as most were to make her laugh. They got more prominent with time and included other people. As long as none were harmed, I wasn't chastised, well, not much anyway.

I'm going to miss being with her any time I want. As long as I don't prank anyone at the Sinclair pack, I should be allowed to visit often, but it's not the same. My heart hurts.

My parents gently pushed me to the open ring I came through, the one in front of their house.

"Why don't you go check in with Holly? The decorations are ready for the ceremony and just need to be transported and put up. We have plenty of people for that."

My mom gave me a hug, which included some calming vibes. I could also feel her stress. Her Omega wolf is upset over losing her youngest daughter, one she has been raising for 17 years. However, two prodigy pups are approaching their coming of age. Before long, she will be swamped.

I headed to the housing for the unmated wolves and found Holly at home with four screens running surveillance programs around Sinclair land. She'll know if anything comes in or out, protecting her best friend and the upcoming ceremony.

I glanced briefly at the screens before looking at the she-wolf. She was sniffling, and Evan was rubbing her back and shoulders.

"I'm missing her, too," I said softly. Evan jolted a bit, not knowing I was there, but Holly just looked up, her eyes sad.

"I'm happy for her, but it's going to be hard not to see her whenever I want."

"We will survive, and she is happy. So, is there anything else going on we can focus on? How about you, Evan? Make any decisions yet?" I asked him as I got a cup of coffee.

"I'm leaning toward TALE, but my wolf and I like Holly. I want to stay longer and get to know her more," he said as he smiled at the she-wolf, who was blushing.

"No worries. Holly can start the paperwork and send it over to TALE. It will take a week or so for them to evaluate it before deciding whether to interview you. If they like you, it then goes in front of the Council. It's a whole process that takes several weeks." I explained as I sipped my coffee.

We talked a bit more before a call came in on the helpline.

"I'll get it," I said, waving her back to her chair as I reached for the phone. "Good morning, this is Alpha One. How may I help you?"

The voice was unknown to me, but my wolf jerked its head up at the sound.

"I think we stumbled across something you need to investigate."

********

Aren't Holly and Evan so cute?! --April