CHAPTER 50: FIRE

Sleazy Carnie: Oh, what a series of unfortunate events little buddies.

The carny counts the amount of bills in his hands with a grin from horn to horn, watching how the little Imp and the hellhound pup hit the targets and still fail to knock them down.

Loona leans on one of the supports of the games stand, watching the greenish sky darken and faint pink stars come out while she pays the scammer another turn so that Y/N can have fun.

After sighing a grunt, Moxxie once again aims at the closest distance he can get and fires, the cork of the toy gun hitting right in the center of the target, but as always, it's not enough for the little metal cartoon apple to be knocked down.

Disappointed, he drops his head on the board of the fair booth in front of him. His stress decreases a little when he feels his wife's hand patting his back, however the bitterness returns when the carny Imp speaks between snickers.

Sleazy Carnie: Come on buddy, you can't possibly suck at this so much. Even a child can win this with it's eyes closed.

The sound of the cork hitting the thin metal target sounds once again. Everyone turns to look at Y/N who lowers her tail in disappointment when she sees she's not able to win the game either.

Y/N: It's not true sir! This game's TOO hard!

The fair worker approaches the kid and puts his hand on his chin thoughtfully while analyzing the little toy gun she's holding.

Sleazy Carnie: Maybe you didn't pull the trigger hard enough, little one. You might want to... find out if that helps.

The Imp then raises the palm of his hand towards Loona with a mischievous smile, hoping for even more money for another turn.

Loona narrows her eyes at him, knowing full well about his scams, but before she could say anything, Y/N tugs at the carnie's sleeve.

Y/N: But that doesn't make sense, how hard the bullet comes out has nothing to do with how hard you pull the trigger, at least not with a real gun.

The carny Imp raises an eyebrow out of his wits. Loona nods in agreement with the pup, and Millie lets out a faint smile as she sees the kid has learned a thing or two from her husband's shooting lessons. However, Moxxie's too focused on winning the game he didn't pay attention to what her apprentice was saying.

Sleazy Carnie: Well in this case, lil' girl, maybe you're just not good enough for this.

He pats Y/N on the head, ruffling her hair, and with a sly smile gives Moxx a mischievous look.

Sleazy Carnie: None of you are.

Millie watches her husband tighten his grip on the toy gun as he growls at the carny and pays him for another turn, but her attention turns to Y/N as she lets out a disheartened whimper and lowers her ears.

The imp rests her hand on her lover's shoulder once more before approaching her niece and crouching down to her height.

Millie: At least you've improved your aim, hun.

The little hellhound wags her tail and smiles as she feels her aunt's warm pride, ignoring Loona wrinkling her nose and looking away.

Moxxie fires again and fails knocking down the target as usual, he can't help but let out a frustrated groan.

Sleazy Carnie: Wow, little man, even that little girl seems to have better aim than you, she's even gaining the lady's attention.

The carny winks at Millie, who dismisses him cringing and looking at him disgusted. Moxxie rubs the bridge of his nonexistent nose, sighing. The scammer ignores Millie's rejection and faces her husband.