CHAPTER 62: LEARNING TO SWIM

Y/N: When you strike here...

BANG!!!

Y/N: You take the air out of it..and when you strike here...

BANG!!!

...

A trickle of smoke comes out of the small barrel of the gun Y/N holds as she lowers her arms. She frowns as she stares at the bullet hole in the cardboard angel's "horns." Seeing all the marks she's left on it, she remembers once again the teachings of her father while he beat that mutilator demon.

The young hellhound remembers the damage he caused him just by using his bare hands... A gunshot wound would be even worse...

Moxxie: Why did you stop?

Y/N: I was pointing at it's head...

Moxxie: Try to keep your shoulders firmer and lift your elbow a little higher.

The hellhound pup nods and returns her attention to her aim. More days had passed than Moxxie expected Blitzø to give them rest to recover. Both he and Millie had healed their wounds quickly, Millie looked more affected by the destruction of Loo Loo Land than by being sent flying in an explosion of burning hellish flames, and yet she recovered quickly from that too.

However, his days of rest were over, and today it was the weapons expert's turn to instruct his young apprentice once again.

Y/N followed her mentor's instructions, improving her stance before firing again, this time hitting the exorcist right in the eye. The pup's ear twitches at the sound of the gunshot as it usually does. Moxxie grinned and petted the little hellhound's head.

Moxxie: Well done Y/N! You've improved a lot!

The Imp expected the typical smile from her apprentice, but Y/N -without taking her eyes off the target- dryly replied:

Y/N: Yeah, well, this is what's important to you, right? that I shoot with a REAL gun?..

Moxxie's eyes widened in surprise. He's never heard a sarcastic comment come from her. No doubt her apprentice has spent time with Loona. But soon, her comment hit him like a bucket of cold water when he realized she was quoting a comment he said himself in Loo Loo Land.

Moxxie: I forgot I said that...

If Y/N had listened to her mentor, she gave no sign of doing so. She simply raised the weapon in the correct posture, aiming at the fake exorcist's chest.

Moxx didn't think that a comment like that would still be in Y/N's memory, especially when she's just a kid who's overlooked so many things and is easily distracted.

The young hellhound kept her finger stroking the trigger, taking a while to fire.

Moxxie: I'm sorry..

Y/N's ears perk up, but she doesn't break her position.

Moxxie: I shouldn't have said such thing... it's just... That charlatan-... he wouldn't stop-...

The Imp sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose.

Moxxie: No, there are no excuses... I shouldn't have discredited you... forgive me.

Moxxie hesitates whether to approach Y/N. After a few seconds, the puppy's ears droop, and she breaks her position, head down.

Y/N: It's easier to shoot with a toy gun than a real one.

Moxxie: I mean, of course it's different. The weight of the weapon can-..

Y/N: No, not that!