15. A Verb in Perfect View

Year: 125 AC

Year: 125 AC

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Daenys stood in the courtyard of the Red Keep and gazed around, taking in all the changes that had occurred in her absence since she had last set foot in King's Landing, almost 5 years ago. Time had brought many changes to her own life as well, as well as welcome additions to her family. Her mother had given birth to two of Daemon's sons and the arrival of the children had brought her family closer together. 

She was back here in her childhood home because of Helaena's most recent letter. She was with child for the second time and had requested to see her. Daenys was laden with guilt at not being able to be there for her first birth so she departed Dragonstone on her dragon the very same night. 

The first person to greet her was Dyana, who had become one of Helaena's handmaidens as Daenys had heard from her constant streams of letters. Daenys couldn't contain her excitement when she saw her and rushed towards her friend, leaping up to wrap her arms around her neck, embracing her tightly with genuine affection.

"Princess," Dyana greeted, seeming a bit embarrassed by the attention and bowing her head.

Daenys shook her head and gently kissed Dyana's cheek.

"There's no need for that, Dyana. You know that."

"As you wish -"

"No more princess this, princess that, at least not when it's just us."

Daenys did not notice the single sullen eye that glared down at her from one of the windows that overlooked that part of the courtyard, nor the downturn of a certain someone's mouth when he saw her. She only grinned and linked her arm with Dyana's.

"Lead the way to our dear lady, please Dyana. I must see her at once."

As Dyana led Daenys to Helaena's chambers, the sight that greeted her was a stark contrast to the vibrant and lively friend she remembered. Helaena lay in bed, looking pale and exhausted, her once-youthful countenance now marked by the weariness of pregnancy. Her stomach was swollen and she wore only her pale white shift. She appeared positively miserable. Daenys's heart ached at the sight of her dearest friend in such a state. Helaena's youngest brother, Daeron lay curled up next to her, reading aloud from a book about exotic insects. 

Dyana knocked on the door to announce their arrival and Helaena looked up with a smile, as if expecting them. Daenys rushed toward her, dropping to her knees beside the bed and took her aunt's hand in her own, steepling their fingers together. She pressed a kiss to the back of her hand, her eyes wide with concern. 

"Helaena! How are you feeling? I came as soon as I received your letter. Is everything alright? Are you going to be alright?"

The older girl chuckled at Daenys's childish concerns, and she brushed her hand affectionately through her hair.