Wattpad Original

Ch 36: The Missing Assistants

Ethan followed Nina out of the shipping container that contained the unconscious ferals from Graydon Stronghold. She continued talking about the zombie virus triggers and why it likely had various effects. Daniel closed the door behind them. His gaze frequently flickered to the zombie whose questions were simple enough that even I knew the answers.

Daniel occasionally explained things in simpler terms if Ethan really wanted to understand a concept but wasn't quite grasping it. I wasn't sure how Ethan planned to "oversee" Nina's research when he didn't know a single chemical name or even how many triggers the zombie virus had. As long as the scientist explained what she was doing and the safeguards she had in place, he'd probably be content.

"These tests are safe?" Ethan asked when Nina talked about her latest tests, where she was using the serum Wren and Jax had originally received.

"Testing in blood samples is the safest. I've worked with most of these chemicals before, although not in this manner. They would require pressurization to become airborne, so it's safe for zombies to be in the area, although I err on the side of caution and ask Daniel to go outside when I use them."

Ethan nodded thoughtfully. I didn't comment on the slightly deeper breath he'd taken while she spoke. It didn't really matter if he understood the technicalities, not when his ability to smell lies and half-lies was probably as good as mine. This explained how he planned to make sure proper protections were in place.

I leaned against the truck and regarded the blonde-haired man. He had been a zombie long enough to rely on his ability to smell lies, but he wasn't experienced enough to realize the weak points. If someone believed what they were saying, no lie would be present in their scent.

A four-year-old could happily proclaim that five plus five was two hundred, and if they thought they were right, their scent would reflect that. Still, it was a better plan than most people had, and Nina's track record spoke for her.

"Am I still going to Yersin for any remaining notes?" I asked, interrupting their conversation. They had all day to talk, but I wasn't about to stand here forever.

Nina blinked at me as if she had forgotten I was there. "Actually, do you mind waiting until tomorrow? I'd like to see if we can borrow an enclosed trailer and bring back all the equipment."

"Fine with me." My head turned towards Ethan. "Do you plan on staying in the Stronghold overnight? Daniel is usually the only one to sleep inside the fence. The rest of us prefer fresher air, and there are a bunch of abandoned houses and cabins scattered around."

"I don't have a preference," Ethan replied. "After the controlex, human scents don't bother me. The bloodlust is completely gone, so I won't have any problems sleeping. I don't seem to sleep much though. Maybe a couple of hours a night?"

"Sounds about right for a Terror," Nicky muttered from where she sat in the back of the truck. "By the way, how good are your reflexes?"

"Very good."

"Great! Catch!" Nicky lifted the potato cannon and pointed it in his direction.

Poof! The yellow ducky rocketed out and flew directly at our rather-confused-looking companion.

Ethan easily caught the toy. "What am I supposed to do with this?"

"Throw it back, gently, of course."

He lobbed it back to her, almost falling short of the truck with his caution.

This was the strangest game of catch I've ever seen, and I decided to leave before they dragged me into it.

"I'll go work on the trench," I said, turning to leave. "Call me if you need me."

"I have your flashlights and hoodie in the truck," Ethan commented. "I'll bring them by later."