Chapter 8: Assassination

Steve and Y/N arrive at the Triskelion, S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters.

Steve: You just can't stop yourself from lying, can you?

Fury: I didn't lie. Agent Romanoff had a different mission than yours.

Steve: Which you didn't feel obliged to share.

Fury: I'm not obliged to do anything.

Y/N: There were hostages, they could have died because of you.

Fury: I sent the greatest soldier in history and the powerful person I know to make sure that didn't happen.

Steve: Soldiers trust each other, that's what makes it an army. Not a bunch of guys running around and shooting guns.

Fury: The last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye. Look, I didn't want you both doing anything you weren't comfortable with. Agent Romanoff is comfortable with everything.

Y/N: Yeah, I can see that.

Steve: I can't lead a mission when the people I'm leading have missions of their own.

Fury: It's called compartmentalization. Nobody spills the secrets because nobody knows them all.

Steve: Except you.

Fury: You're wrong about me. I do share. I'm nice like that.

Y/N: Are you?

Fury steps into an elevator with Steve and Y/N following behind him.

Fury: Insight bay.

SHIELD Computer: Captain Rogers and L/N do not have clearance for Project Insight.

Fury: Director override, Fury, Nicholas J.

SHIELD Computer: Confirmed.

The elevator starts moving down.

Steve: You know, they used to play music.

Fury: Yeah. My grandfather operated one of these things for forty years. My granddad worked in a nice building; he got good tips. He'd walk home every night, roll of ones stuffed in his lunch bag. He'd say "hi", people would say hi back. Time went on, neighborhood got rougher. He'd say "Hi", they'd say, "Keep on steppin'. Granddad got to grippin' that lunch bag a little tighter.

Steve: Did he ever get mugged?

Fury: Every week some punk would say, "What's in the bag?"

Y/N What did he do to them?

Fury: He'd show 'em. Bunch of crumpled ones and loaded .22 Magnum.

Fury smiles.

Fury: Granddad loved people. But he didn't trust them very much.

As they continue to ride down the elevator Steve and Y/N notice the giant Helicarriers.

Y/N: Uh...

Fury: Yeah, I know. They're a little bit bigger than a .22.

As Fury shows Steve and Y/N around.

Fury: This is Project Insight. Three next generation Helicarriers synced to a network of targeting satellites.

Steve: Launched from the Lemurian Star.

Fury: Once we get them in the air they never need to come down. Continuous suborbital flight courtesy of our new repulsor engines.

Y/N: Let me guess, Tony helped you.

Fury: Well, he had a few suggestions once he got an up close look at our old turbines. These new long range precision guns can eliminate a thousand hostiles a minute. The satellites can read a terrorist's DNA before he steps outside his spider hole. We gonna neutralize a lot of threats before they even happen.