Chapter 3: Something Unexpected

Later, Camille was reading a book in the Dreame app on her iPad, and Isabelle was talking to one of her clients, a French woman named Céline Moulin

Céline had recently moved to San Francisco and had met Brendon Willis. He was Isabelle's art dealer friend in LA. And she told him she had been looking for an artist to paint her granddaughter, and Brendon recommended Isabelle.

Céline then reviewed some of Isabelle's works and liked what she saw. So, she requested a painting, and Isabelle was happy to oblige. Now, they were about to make the arrangements. Isabelle got Céline on the phone.

"Bonjour, Céline, comment vas-tu?"

"Je vais bien. Maintenant, écoute; j'ai le tableau du tableau que tu m'as demandé. C'était de ta fille, Lili, pour son diplôme d'études secondaires. Je l'ai appelé The Superior Graduate. Tu l'aimes?"

"Isabelle, ça lui va bien. Je veux juste le voir avant que tu envoies le tableau à ton ami, Brendon, qui possède la galerie d'art près de chez moi."

"Tu es sa mère, donc tu obtiens l'approbation finale. Brendon m'a envoyé ton e-mail plus tôt, donc je vais juste t'envoyer une photo de la peinture et te laisser la regarder. Une fois que tu m'auras donné ton accord, nous peut parler du coût."

"Ça a l'air bien, Isabelle."

"Bien sûr." Isabelle then went into the Files on her MacBook, found a copy of the painting of Céline's daughter, and emailed it to her.

The painting was of a tall, slender girl with curly, shoulder-length bronze-gold hair and brown eyes. The girl's skin was the shade of snow and had red lips. She was seated on a plain white bench next to a large cherry tree with a deep brown trunk and wore a dark blue dress with a silver ring with a blue gem.

Isabelle heard Celine's thick French accent a minute later, which sounded pleased.

"Isabelle! C'est incroyable. Ma fille va adorer ça. Maintenant, nous pouvons parler des coûts."

Since Celine lived out of state, getting it on a plane and shipping it to California would cost a lot. However, Brendon was one of her friends and a fellow art dealer, so she'd been willing to make this deal work.

"Brendon et moi apprécions tous les deux l'accord. Quoi qu'il en soit, le coût serait de 3 500 $, et Brendon et moi le partagerons en deux. Je reçois 1 750 $ pour le peindre, puis Brendon reçoit le reste. Comment ça sonne?"

"Parfait. Je t'enverrai la moitié de l'argent, et je donnerai l'autre moitié à Brendon quand le tableau arrivera."

"Très bien merci."

"Pas de problème. Passez une bonne journée."

"Toi aussi. Au revoir, Isabelle."

"Au revoir, Céline."