Chapter 6: The Interrogation of the Parents

Joseph lived with his father, Nathan, and his stepmother, Sara, a few houses down from Clarisse and her family, so it didn't take long for him to get home

Joseph lived with his father, Nathan, and his stepmother, Sara, a few houses down from Clarisse and her family, so it didn't take long for him to get home. But when he pulled into his driveway, he saw the lights were off, leaving everything pitch-black.

Okay. Everything is shut off, so Dad and Sara aren't awake. Good. I can get in and out of here without enduring their entire 'how was your date' interrogation. I love them, but honestly, they've gotten old. But first, I'll text Clarisse to see if she needs anything from my house. Joseph thought.

He then got out his phone, flipped to his iMessages, clicked on 'Baby,' one of his "Pinned" contacts, and began typing in the "iMessage" tab on the bottom of his screen.

To: Clarisse

From: Joseph

I just got home. Do you need anything from my house?

He sent it, and it wasn't long before Joseph got a reply. He opened it up and smiled.

To: Joseph

From: Clarisse

No, but thanks for asking. I'll see you when you get back.

After reading the message, he pocketed his phone before driving to the open garage, turned off the engine, and went inside. Once in the kitchen, he could barely make out the shape of his hand, so he turned on his flashlight while moving slowly. It was only 9:40, so he had plenty of time to get his things and get back to Clarisse's.

But upon entering the living room, the lamps switched on, revealing his father and stepmother sitting on one of their suede couches. They were in their nightclothes, with Sara's dark hair in a messy braid over one shoulder and Nathan looking like he had been lying on a pillow. 

Joseph screamed and squeezed his eyes shut, wincing in discomfort at the brightness. He blinked, desperate to clear the large black dots from his eyes. Once his vision was expected, he fixed his chiseled, handsome features into an intense, icy glare.

"Dad, Sara, what the bloody hell are you doing?! You guys scared the ever-living shite out of me!" 

Nathan sat there, biting his lip as he tried not to laugh. But next to him, Sara was in hysterics, her eyes tearing up as she watched Joseph pace the room. He had a flair for the dramatic. Something that he had not inherited from Nathan.

Nathan schooled his features into a smirk as he asked, "How was your date?"

Instead of replying, Joseph gave him the middle finger. Seeing this, Sara's eyes widened in surprise, but Nathan laughed even harder if it were possible. Ignoring them, Joseph stumbled towards the stairs, intent on going up to his room to pack his stuff, but his dad had other plans.

He grabbed his son, pulled him by the arm over to the couch, and sat him down before retaking his seat beside his wife. Joseph fixed his eyes on Nathan and Sara, and his voice was snarky when he spoke.