-Three-

We had been traveling for quite some time, weaving through lush forests and crystal streams. Night had swaddled the earth in darkness, the many moons hung in perfect symmetry across the sky. Luminescent bugs zipped through the air with grace and speed as sizable insects that had the body of a dragon and bright, glowing membranous wings feasted on various other life forms. 

The youth, Katoka and I had talked amongst ourselves, mainly telling me stories of the many adventures he and his teacher had embarked on. 

 As we trudged through dense foliage and reached a river's bursting start, a question that had laid still in my mind since I met him slipped from my mouth. "What were you doing in the Lux faction anyway?" 

 "Oh," he said, hopping across large stones, "My teacher told me to practice my powers in the forest while he hung out with this girl. I got lost and ended up there, where you saved me. I know my way back now, don't worry!" He gestured around us, and for the first time, I noticed small pictures scratched into the trees. 

 Marks, I realized. He had created a path of markings. "Smart..." I whispered to myself. 

 "The girl my teacher trains with said to do that when I get lost. Told me she doesn't want me to die out here, with all the crazy creatures," he laughed, as if getting devoured by an Amionon or Saimathai was something to merely joke about. 

 I shivered at the thought of such a thing, and Katoka only ridiculed me for the reaction. We continued on our journey, each footfall stamped into the rich soil of the river's bank marking our presence. It was when the sound of an unfamiliar voice grew loud that we both paused, the prints stopping along with us. 

 "Katoka!" the faint sound screamed, "Katoka, where are you?" 

 "Atlaster!" the adolescent yelled back, "Atlaster, I'm over here!" 

 He picked up his speed, rushing forward as I sprinted in order to keep up, coming close to slipping into the water on multiple occasions. He stayed in front of me until we broke from the forest and into a welcoming clearing, where a figure stood in anticipation. 

 "Katoka, there you are!" the man said with relief prominent in his tone, bending down with open arms and embracing the boy who crashed into him. I stopped my running and watched from a distance, not wanting to disrupt the sweet moment. 

 "Where were you—" he stopped speaking when he looked up, his piercing blue eyes meeting mine. From the moons' light that streamed through the viridescent trees I could just make out his appearance. A fluffy mess of brown hair adorned his head. His features were soft, and he was surprisingly attractive, though they sharpened at the sight of me. 

 He let go of the boy, and, with an outstretched hand, called a rush of water from the nearby river to clash with his fingertips. Before I could realize what was happening, liquid flooded into my nose and mouth, covering my face as I gasped in surprise, resulting in a rush of cold water seeping down my throat. 

 "Stop!" I heard Katoka screech in surprise as I crashed to the ground, desperately attempting to breathe, though to no avail could I break through the barrier that engulfed me. 

 The ground began to rumble beneath us as the young boy demanded that his supposed teacher, Atlaster, was to free me. In surprise at the earthquake, he released me from the water's freezing grip. 

 I coughed up the remains of the liquid, my throat in immense pain as I collapsed to the ground with heaving breaths. "What was that for?" I hoarsely shouted at the man who paid no mind to me, instead turning his focus to his apprentice. 

 "You controlled the ground just now," he muttered in surprise. "You did it!" Attempting to hug Katoka once again, the adult was only pushed away by the angry lad. "Yeah, and she was the one who taught me!" he exclaimed, pointing at me as I sat idle, suddenly aware of just how cold the night was.