-Eighteen-

I woke up laying beside Atlaster. Weird, I know, but that's how we fell asleep. We didn't know the time when we decided to repose, as the Eclipse had made it seem as if it were always night. Just as before, there was only one bed for use in Guinevere's house, and neither of us were keen on sleeping on the floor after our long and rather exhausting journey.

I tried to go back to that hazy world, where I couldn't think of Pylia or my failed attempts or my fate as the new Queen. But the twisting feeling in my stomach urged me to stay awake. After many futile attempts, I realized that there was no point. So, I got up.

I gently slid out of bed, cautious as to not disturb the sleeping bloke beside me. He stirred slightly, his eyes still closed. I assumed that he hadn't been too disturbed, and I snuck out of the room.

Guinevere wasn't downstairs, as I descended the steps. I could only assume she was sleeping too. I opened the door cautiously, slipping out of the house and into the dim light of the stars. The moon still hung in the sky, a ring of light surrounding it. I watched silently as Nyx's creation didn't even move, just sat there idle.

"Fascinating, isn't it?" a coarse voice called from behind me. I jumped at the unfamiliar sound, turning to face Atlaster who stood behind me, his hair a mess and his eyes tired. His voice had lowered quite significantly after arising, to which I supposed I was at fault for.

"Ah, yes," I replied once my racing heart had calmed. "Sorry for waking you."

"It's alright, I don't mind," he smiled, that gentle grin that I had seemed to grow so fond of. "What are you doing out here?"

"I couldn't go back to sleep," I replied, gazing back up at the constellations that glimmered against the night, purple adorning the sky and hinting at the galaxies that lay just beyond our reach. Was The Above out there? I wondered.

"Ah, makes sense." He sat down beside me, both of us simply resting on a porch in silence. It wasn't awkward though, almost comfortable, to know that he was there. It was an odd thing to think, and I couldn't help it.

The tranquility only lasted for a few minutes before he spoke, "I have an idea," he perked up suddenly, a glimmer in his eyes. "Come with me."

He stood up, holding his hand out, as if he wanted me to take it. Still, I obliged, holding his hand. It was a surprisingly warm contrast to the bitter, cold breeze that blew against us. He ran into the wind, our hair getting incredibly disheveled as we dashed across the camp. I couldn't help but laugh as he looked back at me with a giddy smile, his messy locks flying over his eyes.

We broke from the occasional houses and into the swaying hold of the trees around us, their boughs holding firm against the light gale. He winded me through conifers and maples, and I was surprised at the fact that I felt happy, even when I had no clue where we were headed. Perhaps it was the influence of that sickening feeling in my stomach at the contact we made, brushing up against each other as we ran.

Eventually, the racing to our destination had come to an end, as Atlaster began to slow and we entered a new area of the forest. The leaves of willow trees grazed the viridescent ground, flowers I couldn't name blooming against every corner. In the center sat a lake, lily pads with blossoms resting on the water.

"Wow," I whispered to myself at the sight, the glow of lantern bugs only contributing to the breath-taking atmosphere, "It's gorgeous."

"What do you mean?" he questioned, releasing my hand and stepping back, his arms outstretched and back towards the glistening water, "You haven't even seen the best part."

As soon as the words were spoken, he fell back into the lake. His body crashed against the ripples, as he sank down almost instantly. I gasped, both at the fact that he would do such a dangerous thing, but also the reaction the small tides had. Coruscating blue surrounded him in small glistening dots, illuminating the outline of his body.