Housekeeping part 2

Amy is standing in front of one of the hotel room's door trying to hide her fear of the creepy building. She doesn't like it, this place is giving her the creeps. She has also never worked with Gertrude before.

Gertrude also doesn't have the best reputation, Amy's colleagues would tell her scary stories about Gertrude being a witch and definitely not the good kind.

Amy stretches her arm out to knock on the door, but before she can touch the old wood Gertrude asks: "You're not planning on going in alone, right?"

Amy looks at her in confusion, they always do the rooms on their own. Not only does it go faster, but it is more efficient as well.

"This is not a good place to be alone in, dear. You can't protect yourself against the creatures that roam here."

"Y-you mean... like ghosts?" Amy shivers by the thought alone, she does have an interest in the paranormal, but it certainly has its limits. She often gets scared of the stories alone, so she keeps it at a bare minimum. It is difficult though, certainly with a friend like heater who watches gory slashers and scary clowns on TV every week.

"Ghosts, yes, but they are mostly benevolent. It's something else which is here with us." Gertrude's face looks serious, more than Amy has ever seen before.

Why did she have to be picked? Amy wants to cry, but is able to just keep it inside.

"Come Amy, step back, I will go first." Gertrude waves her hand to get her to move.

Amy gives her a quick nod and lets Gertrude take the lead.

"Alright let's go."

She knocks on the door: "Housekeeping!"

Both watch, listening and holding their breath in anticipation.

.

.

.

No answer.

"Alright, that seems good. This room should be empty after all."

"Then why did you knock?"

"To let them know that we're coming in." Gertrude smiles.

Carefully she opens the door, making it creek slightly.

The room looks normal enough, the curtains are still open so they can see the room well enough.

Amy suddenly smells something strange and looks at Gertrude who is burning incense.

The word 'strange' doesn't fit Gertrude anymore, thinks Amy. She wants to ask the old woman many questions, but ultimately decides that it's not the time.

Smoke dances above them as they enter the room.

"Is that really allowed?" This is the one question Amy let's slip.

Gertrude smiles without looking away from the room: "Some rules are made to be broken dear."

They start with dusting of the room, it goes rather slow and Amy thinks that with this speed they would probably need multiple days.

Gertrude decides to vacuum the room and takes the small machine inside.

She gives Amy the plug: "Could you please plug this in dear?"

Amy nods and as she walks away with it to the nearest outlet it already starts.

Shocked, she turns around: "Ma'am!" showing Gertrude the plug.