Chapter 1

(Eliana’s POV)

Suddenly my eyes opened and I sat up on the bed. My breathing was fast and even after the AC was on I was still sweating. I clutched the sheets tightly and got my breathing back to normal. I grabbed a glass of water from my bedside and drank it up completely. Then I noticed that it was still quite early in the day when I looked at the clock. I thus reclined and pulled the covers up to my neck. The nightmare that woke me up in the first place started clouding my mind again and the whole time I was not able to sleep.

My alarm clock beeped, so I pulled the blankets off and got ready for the day. I started by going through my morning routine and then entered the kitchen. I went over to the refrigerator to get the items out for breakfast after tying my hair with the clutcher that was on the dining room table. I started by heating the milk before moving on to the cooked egg, cereal, and sandwich.  

Then went towards the room right away after exiting the kitchen. One of my tiny angels is already awake, as I discovered when I carefully opened the door and peered inside.

“Hey baby, did you sleep well?” I said in a hushed voice and sat beside him while he was still rubbing his eyes. 

“Mumma…” his voice was drowsy as he spoke, looking at me and reaching out to get hold of me. I picked him up and sat him on my lap while he kept his head on my chest and hugged me tightly with his two little hands.

“What happened Lucas?” When he remained silent for a few minutes, I gently questioned him and he simply gripped me as though I might flee and tears rolled down from his dark brown eyes which were just like him.

“I had a bad dream…I was alone in a room, it was dark and you were not there, mumma” He sobbed and coughed a little in between his words.  

“I am here baby, I will always be with you” He stopped crying as I gently caressed his back and murmured to him. I hummed a song I used to do while I was pregnant and rocked him back and forth for a minute to calm him down.

“Are you ok, now?” I asked him when he raised his head and looked at me. In return, he gave me a smile and kissed my nose.

“Should we wake up your brother’s?” I smiled as I asked, and he knew right away what we were going to do. Then, he rose from my lap and moved in the direction of his brother, while I moved to the other side of the bed.

“1…2…3!” I gave a countdown through my fingers and at three we both yelled and began nuzzling the other two sleepy heads. 

“Aaa, m-mum…maa… s-stop…no L-Lucas” Both of them yelled and made an effort to escape our tickling but we persisted, and it went on for at least a minute.

“You both always team up” Leo, my youngest, rose up and rested his back on the bedrest and muttered while pouting. I moved in to give him a gentle nip on the nose and a kiss on the forehead. 

“One day, if you get up early I will team up with you” I gave him a smile and tousled his hair playfully.

“That day will never come, mumma” I turned to see my oldest, who was standing next to Lucas with his arm draped over his shoulder and grinning as he shook his head in response to something I heard.

“I am waiting for that miracle day too, Liam” I sighed and turned to face Leo, who had a scowl on his face as he gazed at Liam. 

“Ok, enough of this. Come on, get up and move your legs to the washroom” I clapped to draw everyone's attention and they all left after hearing my instructions. But I halted Liam in his tracks and he turned to look at me.

“I will always love you three. You all are my world” When he heard me, he gave me the cutest smile, so I bowed down, faced him, and kissed his cheek. Then, he continued his walk back to the washroom with me behind him.

As I filled the bathtub with lukewarm water, they undressed. They stood next to me when they had finished stripping and brushing their teeth. I gestured for them to enter after dipping my hand into the water to feel the temperature. They giggled while playing with the water and began splattering each other with it as soon as they were comfortable. Seeing my babies happy is something I constantly look forward to in life.

I gave them their individual bathrobes after giving them a bath and then I proceeded to get their uniforms out of their closet. They all sat on the chairs while I plated their breakfast in the kitchen after getting them ready. I made their tiffin and mine breakfast at the same time as they were eating. I hastily grabbed their bags from their room and placed their tiffin inside before placing the bags on their shoulders as soon as the clock struck eight fifty.

“Come on boys, we’ll be late… Bus will be coming” I locked the door and put on my slippers before leaving the house. In two minutes, we were at our destination, where every other parent was waiting to drop off their kids.

“Boys, tomorrow you and mumma will go to an adventure park. Today is your last day before vacation so, I want you to behave and enjoy, ok?” I knelt down in front of them and grasped their hands.  I kissed each of their foreheads individually before their school bus arrived after they had all hugged me together in delight after listening to me and dismissed them with a wave.

I walked back to my flat and as soon as I came in, I sighed at the quiet place. Only when my three angels are present does this house always seem active. My life would be meaningless without them, and for that alone, I am grateful to him. I will always remember that night as more of a part of my life than a nightmare.