XIII.

Another king and his two sons arrived shortly before dinner was served. King Buna Ziua and his twin sons Princes Geaman and Gemello came on horseback with 50 servants, 20 slaves, and 60 soldiers, all decked out in the best that their king had to offer. The introductions with them took longer, the unpacking took much longer, and Nevi squealing over Prince Gemello's pet parrot took some time. 

Dinner was cold when we finally got around to it. Extra plates had to be brought out for the new arrivals because they didn't write ahead to tell Prince Kiken they were coming early. Nevi wanted to sit next to Arne and she spent most of the meal telling him about her new toys, favorite stories, and her dresses for the wedding and coronation; all while Arne listened intently. I never knew he liked children.

Nevi also became my ally in the fight to get Arne to eat with one simple question. "Are you hungry?" she had asked, "I promise that auntie's food is yummy."

"Is the cook your aunt?" Arne asked as he picked up his fork.

Nevi shook her head. "No," she said, "But everyone calls her auntie." And then Arne cleared his plate of everything except for something made with fish, he never liked fish, while Nevi babbled on about anything that came to her mind.

Prince Geamon let out a groan. "Shut the girl up," he growled to Prince Kiken, "She's annoying."

Nevi closed her mouth and looked down at her plate. Memories of being in her place flooded my mind. I opened my mouth to defend her, but Arne beat me to it and his way was probably better.

"Please continue Nevi," he said, "You're a very good storyteller."

"But he said to stop," Nevi whispered.

Prince Kiken cleared his throat and glared at Arne. "He did," he growled, "So she should. Who are you to defy a prince's command? An angel? A deity? A king?"

"He's Arne Vaengr-Kutta," I answered.

Prince Kiken snorted at my answer. "A warrior from a kingdom beaten by a woman who's since been captured and enslaved," he said, "Why would he have any power here? Why is he at this table at all? The consorts of King Buna Ziua and his sons have their own table."

"What's a consort?" Nevi whispered to Veleno.

Veleno paled and turned to Prince Kiken. "Please don't use that word," she begged, "She's too young."

"She really is," I agreed, remembering that Nevi wasn't even seven yet.

"You," Prince Kiken ignored us and pointed at Arne, "Go sit with the other consorts." King Buna Ziua and his sons looked pleased.

I grabbed Arne's arm to keep him from leaving, but he surprised us all. "No," Arne said. Eyes widened and jaws dropped around the table. Even the consorts at their table in the corner had turned their heads to look.

Prince Kiken stared. I don't believe he's ever heard that word before, like a lot of men and women in power. "What did you say to me?" Prince Kiken questioned.

Arne tucked his head down. "No," he repeated quietly, "I said no, I have that right. Don't I?"

I gave his arm a reassuring squeeze. "I believe you're all under the impression that he's a slave," I said, cutting a slice from a block of goat cheese with my free hand, "I believe that slavery is an evil that needs to be whipped from the face of the planet, so there are no slaves permitted in my empire." I put the cheese on Arne's plate. "He is, in fact, a free man. This may be your castle Prince Kiken, but remember that no free man or woman sits with slaves."

"Why's that?" Nevi asked.

Veleno furrowed her brow. "I'm not certain," she said. She turned to look at Prince Kiken. "Why is that?"