Redemption

Episode Five: The Duel

1 Hour After the Dinner

"Rotty! Glad to see you well!" Edward Williams greeted. He had just gotten on break, and he needed a drink. And he needed to find someone.

"Yeah, Whatever Williams. Your usual?"

"Yes ma'am."

As he waited for his usual whiskey, he saw just the person he was looking for. Dr Jack Dawkins, seemingly very drunk, was sitting at the poker table, and from the noises that filled the pub, he was losing.

The off-duty guard sighed and made his way over. "Gentlemen! Deal me in."

Everyone cheered. If the townsfolk had a favorite guard, it was Edward. Unlike others, he despised his Captain, and would often do things for people against his orders.

A match later, Edward had won all his earnings back. "Good game." He handed out two pounds to each person and patted Jack on the shoulder before handing him five pounds.

"I don't need charity." He slurred.

"But you need food." Edward argued, making the surgeon groan. "Beer, on me."

He dragged the barely functioning blonde back to the bar and waited for their drinks. Jack looked dead inside.

"I know who you are. You are the Fox's personal detail. And Lady Elizabeth's friend. If you have come here to punch me, do it. But not the nose."

The soldier shook his head. "Nope. Just wanna talk about her. She's pretty upset."

"I know. It's all my fault. She probably despises me." The blonde groaned.

Edward shook his head. "She loves you. She's just hurt. It'll take time but eventually she'll talk to you." He said.

Dr Dawkins scoffed. "She couldn't love me. I'm a thief. She knows this. I barely make enough money to-"