eleven

Winter never wakes up early.

Today is no exception.

In fact, she wakes up so late that she slides into class only seconds after the morning broadcast ends, catching only the last part, "-and this has been Karina Yu."

The name makes her heart hurt. She cried her heart out to Ryujin last night, and both her heart and tear ducts are sore. She doesn't want to think anymore.

When Mr. Kim gives her a disapproving look, Winter accepts it like it's commonplace. She feels sick on the inside. Karina is her light, her spring, and she feels that she's ruined it all. It only makes it worse when Karina runs into the room late as usual, bows to Mr. Kim, and ducks into the seat in front of Winter.

Winter looks away from her.

What she doesn't notice is Karina's confused look.

As the class continues, Winter dozes off as usual, alternating between reading her manga and falling asleep. Her notebook lies open, her head down and her pen lazily dropping from her hand. As the class ends, she blinks her eyes open slowly, looking at the desk.

There's no note there.

Winter's heart shatters and she drops her head again, squeezing her eyes shut.

The raven-haired girl looking at her notices Winter's expression and bites her lip.

Karina is not the extroverted type. She makes friends easily, but only because of her sweet personality. She doesn't go ahead and make friends just like that. Which is why Winter, someone who has actually gotten close to her, is so rare.

"Winter-yah?"

Winter's tired raven head rises slowly, her exhausted eyes meeting Karina's.

"Yes, Karina?"

Her voice is emotionless, and the spike of pain is obvious as Karina stares her in the eyes.

The nicknames- Rina, Karomi- they're gone from Winter's dry voice.

"Did you hear the announcements?"

"No, I got here late."

Winter's voice is crisp and free of all exhaustion. Karina has woken her up a little.

"O- oh."

Winter instantly feels awful at the hitch in Karina's voice, and she stands.

"I'm- I'm sorry, Karina, but after yesterday, I..."

"That's what the broadcast was about, actually."

"What?" Winter's back straightens and she's instantly wide awake. "You- did you read my note out loud on the broadcast?!"

"No, no." Karina smiles softly, and laughs, her sunny smile back on her face, and Winter's heart jumps unfairly. 

"I read mine."

"From Karomi," Karina reads as they sit together under the cherry blossom tree after school.

School has long emptied and it's just them two. Winter convinced Ryujin she'd be fine, and Aeri went home with Ningning as expected. Winter had to go to her next class after Karina's statement, and they didn't see each other for the rest of the day until now.

"Dear the girl who sits behind me," she begins.

Winter's heart jumps. That's her. Winter's heart can't help but backflip again.