6. Over the Wall

"But if these years have taught me anything it is this: you can never run away. Not ever. The only way out is in."

                                                                                                                                                       - Junot Día

Octavia's P.O.V

Running a hand through my hair I glance around not sure of which direction to go. I knew I was nearing the castle boarders when I saw the peak of the dark meadows of the forest that lay outside the high walls. Dragging my feet that were trying their hardest not to give out, I began walking straight with a little more speed.

The moment I had anticipated finally arrived, turning around to my name being called I saw a fuming Orion coming at me with inhumane speed. A scream escaped me when I saw the blaze in his golden eyes.

If this was a cartoon he'd have smoke coming out of his ears.

My legs wobbled as I pushed harder, sprinting as fast as I could towards the forest. A snarl came from my left, and I saw a flash of rich grey fur coming at me at the same time through the corner of my eyes.

Yhup, I'm gonna die...this is it for sure.

The terror and dismay I felt while running were incomparable. This was just the third time in my twenty-four years of existence that I had seen a wolf up this close, and this one was twice as large as the first and second. I had always tried to stay far so I wouldn't get caught.

Almost tripping over my feet, I slowed to a stop, my heart pounding extremely fast in my chest when I saw a smug looking Vincenzo coming towards me.

I was so close, yet so far.

Looking around I was locked in a square, Vincenzo in front, Orion behind, the grey wolf to my side and newly discovered guards to my right. The wolf growled, baring its sharp teeth at me, a hungry barbarian look in its eyes. Placing more distance between me and the wolf, I watch it, waiting for it to prance on me. In a matter of moments I heard the sickening cracking of bones, the wolf's figure shrinking down a size to see the muscular figure of a man. I resisted the urge to throw up at the horrid sight before me.

He stood erect in all his glory with a boyish grin. I couldn't help but tilt my head slightly to look at his third leg wiggling in my face. Silas winked at me before a trouser was thrown in his face, two deep growls following it. The clearing of my throat made me turn to look at Vincenzo who had cold splintering eyes with a bandage on his hand.

Oh poor thing

A tremulous smile on my face, I fumble with my fingers. "Where the fuck do you think you're going?" Vincenzo asked in a gentle voice with a bitter tone beneath it.

Over the wall, obviously, was what I really wanted to say, but instead I ignored him contemplating my chances of running. Turning my head to count the guards, I see some of them gulp in fear.

Wuss

Silas watched me like a hawk narrowing his eyes at me as if waiting for me to run off. I could feel Orion's glare scorching through my skin, turning around to get a better glimpse of him, he had his jaw clenched and his fist folded with blood streaming down them. My exhaustion got the better of me realizing I wasn't going to make it. I was too tired now to push forth, I should probably start working out more.

"Would you believe me if I said I was just taking a walk?" I ask avoiding looking at him.

Orion scoffed, muttering "Pathetic."

For some unknown reason my heart fell at the utterance of his words. He truly thought lowly of me.

"Let's go." Vincenzo said coming up to me.

"And if I refuse? Are you gonna throw me over your shoulder again like some fucking rag doll?" I asked him in a taunting voice, "Or are you gonna inject me with some bullshit and threaten to kill me. Cause y'all seem so fucking good at it." I continued looking directly in Orion's eyes.

For a brief moment I saw regret flash through them, but it was gone just as quick as it came.

A dark chuckle escaping me. I spoke while running my hand through my hair. "I'm only trying to escape the terrible inevitability of this situation, its clear none of us want to be here. I never wanted a mate and yet I get fucking two? You think I fucking want this, this shits fucking insane." By now I was full on laughing, my sanity slowly dispersing.

"Does anybody have a fucking cigar or two?" I ask loud enough for everyone to hear me but received no response. Taking a step back I look at the twins whispering, "When will you accept that I don't want you...neither of you."

"Enough!" Orion's imperious command rang out. The pained look on their face that almost made me rush to them to comfort their agony.

Almost

Just like I almost got away. If only I was a bit stronger or a bit faster.

"Put her back in her cell" Vincenzo said in a monotone voice. My eyes widened as I looked at him, I felt Silas come closer giving me an apologetic look before grabbing me roughly. The kind man I knew is now gone as he obeyed his King's Orders. In front of me stood the Beta, the man in charge of protecting his pack. I screamed and trashed in his arms, but his firm grip held me still. Tears ran down my face when I neared the familiar halls, the gate creaking open and the dim light flicking above. If I knew I was ever gonna end up back in a cell, I'd let him kill me that day seven years ago.