𝐌𝐎𝐂𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐉𝐀𝐘 ☘︎ 20

It appears my 'secret mission' from Coin wasn't a complete lie, because after a twenty minute conversation, it is decided that I should be the one to execute Snow.

Effie and I are in my room right now. I've already changed into my mockingjay suit and I have my axes ready. I'm going to kill him.

"Well, it's bound to be quite the show," Effie says evasively. We look in the mirror. "Oh, but you look as lovely as ever. Just beautiful.

"Finishing touches," she pins the Mockingjay pin to my chest and I look down at Austin's pearl that's in my hand.

I'm ready.

☘︎☘︎☘︎

I walk down the street the tribute parade was once held on with all the rebels (Rory and Vick at the fore) behind me. Coin stands where Snow once did, still looking impassive.

As for Snow, he's pinned to a post in the centre. All six victors stand on either side and allow me in between them. I look at Austin as I pass, and he appears alright. Maybe he is.

Snow appears fine. He doesn't seem unhappy, at least. But he's not exactly jumping up and down. I look at him hatefully.

Coin steps up. "Welcome to the new Panem! Today, on the Avenue of the Tributes, all of Panem, a free Panem, will watch more than a mere spectacle. We are gathered to witness a historic moment of justice. Today, the greatest friend to revolution, will throw the shot to end all wars! May her axe signify the end of tyranny, and the beginning of a new era!

"Mockingjay, may your axe be as true, as your heart is pure," that's her last words.

I raise my axe above my head, aiming at Snow's heart. He just looks at me, as if we're still speaking our last conversation.

"Oh my dear Miss Hawthorne, I thought we agreed not to lie to each other."

He's right. We did.

I aim further upwards, and throw. The axe hits its target, and President Coin collapses, an axe in her chest, dead.

The aftermath happens quickly. Rebels run in at me from all sides as Snow laughs, long and hard. His mouth is wide open and I can see all the blood...

Austin's suddenly running to me and in front of me, as two guards grab me he shouts, but I don't hear.

Rebels running to kill Snow- rebels running to kill me- Snow, I see, has obviously choked. He's still tied to the post, but he moves no more.

Both of the leaders. Both of the Presidents. Both dead.

☘︎☘︎☘︎

I get taken to a room that has nothing in it. I can't believe what I've just done. I wait for half an hour and no one comes to kill me. I don't know what's going to happen to me.

Someone comes to me but I can't see who they are. Then I recognise Haymitch in the gloom. I sink down the wall and sit on the floor.

He walks over and sits down beside me. "I'll say this for you, Willow. You don't disappoint. Er- Plutarch gave me a letter for you-"

"I don't want it," I say immediately.

"You never make it easy, do you?" He raises his eyebrows at me. "Well if you won't read it then I'll do it for you."

He takes a deep breath.

" 'Willow, maybe the country was shocked tonight by your axe, but once again I was not. You were exactly who I believed you were. I wish I could give you a proper goodbye but with both Coin and Snow dead the fate of the country will be decided tonight and I can't be seen at your side. Tonight the twelve district leaders will call for a free election. There's little doubt that Paylor will carry it. She's become the voice of reason. I'm sorry so much burden fell on you. I know you'll never escape it. But if I had to put you through it again for this outcome, I would.