Chapter Thirteen

Emery Gray

I've been staring at the ceiling for the better part of an hour. Axton and Apollo weren't back yet, so I wouldn't be able to sleep until they were. Axton texted me a couple of times with updates. Unprompted. I never asked him to do it. But I appreciated it all the same.

Alaric was on the other bed, probably sleeping. I'd gone quiet after thinking about what happened earlier. It freaked me out, sure. And I did feel better having Triple-A there with me. Did I like feeling weak? No. But the thought that if I were out there by myself—that terrifies me. I wouldn't have been able to defend myself. And more than that, Alaric's first instinct was to protect me at any sound of danger. I knew he didn't see me as weak. No. The way I saw it—the way I knew it was—it was because he didn't want harm to come to me.

And more than anything, that showed me all I needed to know.

Fuck the sparks I thought I needed to feel when I kissed someone. Fuck all of it. I just...want him. The way he made me feel safe and protected—because yeah, sometimes I need it. No one expected me to run off and face two, very tall masked men. Because I wouldn't. Alaric didn't face off against them. He called for help from his brothers. He stayed with me.

Fucking Christ. I want to kiss him. I more than want to kiss him. I want to thank him. And then kiss him again. He told me I'd have to beg, and at this point, I was already fully prepared to do it.

Like a man on a mission, I rolled off the bed and popped up beside Alaric's bed. He was awake. He turned his head, furrowing his brows out of confusion when he saw me standing there. He was lying over the blanket, staring at the ceiling similar to what I'd been doing.

Once his eyes found mine, I decided to be brave. I wasn't sure I'd have many more opportunities to be brave after this. "I want to kiss you."

He repositioned himself slightly, lifting his head. "What?"

"I. Want. To. Kiss. You." I frowned. "I need to kiss you now."

Alaric took a page out of my book as I watched his brain fall out of his head. He wasn't comprehending my words. He told me our kiss was up to me. And I wanted to make sure he understood that I was far more ready.

I crawled onto the bed and then over him. I was being brave on the outside, but my heart was beating so fast—I feared I was about to pass out. Those green eyes followed my every move. I wanted his eyes on me. Yeah, I understood his fascination with my eyes being on him.

Stuck in his gaze with my knees on either side of him, and one of my hands firmly planted on the headboard, I made sure he knew I was past begging. "I want to kiss you, Alaric." Those green eyes widened. I saw fear. "It isn't about lust. I want to kiss you because you're more than lust. I'm not lusting after you. I'm chasing a new connection to share with you. If you want me to fucking beg, then I will. Do you know what I was thinking about while lying in bed a minute ago? Kissing you. It's not about sexual desire. It's the plea to feel your lips on mine. I want to taste you. Feel you. So please, I am begging yo—"

Alaric shot up and caught my waist. Before I could even register what the fuck was happening, a pair of warm lips touched mine. Gently. I recovered quickly and pressed further toward his mouth. When I said I wanted to taste him, I meant it. I grabbed the back of his neck and pulled him closer. Then I deepened that kiss.

The growl that ripped from Alaric lit my entire body on fire. Holy shit. I was losing my sense of time. Everything was on fire and I wanted to chase more. I traced my tongue along his bottom lip, and when he opened for me, I invaded his mouth with my tongue. His met mine in the middle, and I gasped when both of Alaric's hands landed on either side of my face. He pulled me toward him—a groan leaving him.