Chapter Twenty-Three

Emery Gray

"Yes, Grandpa, I will misbehave, get thirty tattoos, and get arrested a time or two before my next visit." I grinned at the old man who was eying me like I was a deviant. "Oh, come on! I've never gotten into trouble a day in my life. Let me have this."

He waved his cane toward me. "I'll let you have this cane somewhere you wish it wouldn't go! Behave, my favorite grandson. Be good for your parents and that little boyfriend of yours. Yeah, sneaking off to the old treehouse fooled no one. We knew what you were doing. Cat is out of the bag. I hope you enjoy your trip home with your parents now that they know that information."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't act like I wasn't going to tell them anyway."

He hugged me, then my entire family took their turns hugging the life from my body. In all honesty, it was nice to be here with them. But it had been a week. I was ready to go home. They didn't live all that far away, so I could come back anytime I wanted. And I would because I did miss them after living in California for several years. After spending time with Alaric's family, I understood what it was like to truly be separated.

Grandma was the last to hug me, giving me a smile that competed with the sun as she tapped my shoulder. And before I could escape to the car, she put several pieces of Tupperware into my hands. "You make sure you eat. You're getting thin."

"Yes, Grandma." I kissed her cheek. "I love you."

She patted my cheek. "I love you too, baby."

After one last wave to my family, I disappeared into my parent's car after dropping everything off in the trunk. I slunk into my seat, closing my eyes. They were going to question me to death, but I was ready. Partly. I was more exhausted than anything. Everything in my world had been spinning around and around and I hadn't had one minute to rest properly.

When I got home, I knew I'd get to stretch out with Alaric and do nothing for a couple of days. Mom already insisted that I take a few days to recuperate from all the activities I'd been doing. And lucky for her, I already had plans to do just that.

But my parents were not going to let their knowledge of Alaric slide. Not when Dad opened his mouth as he turned onto the interstate. "So, you have a boyfriend, do ya?"

I groaned. "I fully planned on telling you after I recovered from the constant running around." I cracked my eyes open to see Mom grinning at me through her red lipstick. "Don't look at me like that, Mom. I am twenty-two years old. I am an adult..." I narrowed my eyes. "Fine, he's amazing. And he likes me a lot. He's very respectful." I sat up. "He bought me a book with volcano facts in it, and a volcano coloring book just because he thought of me. He understands me. I did upset him a time or two, but he listened to me. He worked through it with me." I was gripping the edges of their seats now, my head poking into the front seats. "I twisted my ankle when we were hiking up to see Rainbow Falls, and he carried me the whole two miles down again because I couldn't walk very well. Not only that, but he made sure to get pictures for me."

Dad was chuckling. "He sounds like a fine young man."

"I have to agree. Any boy who treats my son with respect has my vote." She glanced at me through her sunglasses. "Does this boy have a name?"

I cleared my throat, downcasting my eyes. "His name is uh, Alaric. You may know him as one of the members of Triple-A."

"Sweetheart, we trust your judgment. You're an adult, and from the sounds of it, he treats you very well."