Chapter 56

After breakfast, I drove back to the office, a strange numbness overtaking my thoughts.

It persisted, even growing despite my best efforts to shake it.

"You think you're good enough for him?"

"Pathetic."

"It's time you remembered your place..."

The day passed in a haze, and when I went home that night, alone, I barely tasted my dinner. Showering, I had the water set to the hottest setting, but I couldn't feel the heat.

By Wednesday, I was walking through the world a shadow of myself. I performed my duties, I managed "hello's" to my colleagues, and I tried to forget the inevitable-

He's going to meet my Pack...

No matter how I analyzed it, I couldn't see any alternative. Not inviting him would lead to a thousand impossible questions, and, regardless of how I imagined that conversation happening, every scenario I envisioned ended with us breaking up.

It wasn't until Malcolm came to pick me up for our lesson that I realized how bad it had gotten.

I opened the door, carrying a bag with my old pair of dancing shoes, when he asked, "Hey, are you feeling okay?"

"Hmm?" I glanced up, noting the worry in his eyes.

"Are you sick?" He raised his hand to my forehead, searching for a fever.

All he's going to find is panic and dread.

"I'm fine," I lied, "just a long day."

Taking his hand back, Malcolm's gaze examined mine, "Do you want to cancel? We could stay in?"

I shook my head, "Dancing sounds great, honestly."

His brows drew together, "You're sure?"

Nodding, I elaborated, "It always helps me perk up."

It also always helped me take my mind off of my worries.

And, Goddess, did I have worries.

So, the afternoon found me in Tooley's, practicing the tango and fighting off ghosts.

In the quieter moments, when the instructor was repeating directions I'd memorized the first time, my thoughts went back to my childhood dance studio - to that light, airy space that had been my refuge.

Things had been simple there.

Madame may have been harsh, but she was never unreasonable.

If she expected you to do something, it was because she knew that you could.

Time and again, I'd walked out of there feeling unstoppable, like I could take on the world-

-only for my world to prove otherwise.

Familiar, jeering laughter filled my thoughts.

"Sophie?"

I started, unaware that the instruction had ended, and students were partnering up to begin practice.

"Sorry," I shook my head, hot beneath his curiosity.

"Seriously, are you feeling okay?"

Taking his hand, I drew him out onto the dance floor, making enough space between us and the next couple.

I placed his arm around my back, explaining, "Just... just got distracted."

"Distracted?"

"Y'know, thinking."