Chapter 57

Malcolm exited the elevator, flanked by Patricia and Tom, fresh from their early morning strategy session, and as ready to face their opposition as they could be.

He carried with him a large binder, the blank cover giving no clues as to its contents.

As it turned out, the opposition was standing outside of the boardroom doors, chatting and socializing with the members of the Elder Council.

Fantastic.

The small alcove that led to the boardroom was filled with milling bodies, with some of the oldest sitting on the plain, leather chairs and loveseat that stood outside the doorway.

Malcolm greeted the waiting crowd, putting a warm smile over his habitually stern expression when his eyes caught sight of Blake smirking. Next to him, a short, light-haired man stood wearing a smug air and reeking of family money.

Logan Callahan.

Logan's eyes lit on the new arrivals, and amused glint sparking within them.

Malcolm returned the glance, direct and unflinching.

"Well," Patricia announced beside him, walking forward, "Is this everyone?"

Blake's too smooth voice answered her, "Deborah called to let us know she's running late, but everyone else was on time."

Malcolm grit his teeth at the subtle dig, but Patricia had it handled.

Opening the doors, she fixed him with a look of feigned concern, "You may want to get your Rolex checked, Blake - the time is currently 9:58, and the meeting starts at ten."

His eyes narrowed as the council began to file in around him, "Is that so? Well, some of us clearly have different standards for punctuality."

"I think you'll find that, regarding punctuality, being too early is just as gauche as being too late." Her tone dropped in temperature, becoming unmistakably icy, "To be punctual is to be on time."

Blake's expression soured, and Patricia turned to the human at his side, "Wonderful to see you Mr. Callahan, I'm very glad that you were able to join us today. Unfortunately, this is a closed meeting, so I will have to ask you to wait outside until you are needed." She gestured to the pair of chairs that were now vacant behind him.

"Of course," he smiled like an eel, "Happy to oblige."

"I'll let my assistant know," Malcolm offered, "Would you like some coffee? Water?"

With a sniff, Logan answered, "My attorney and I will both take a water."

Glancing aside, Malcolm noted the tall, unamused looking woman hanging back and observing.

So, Callahan came prepared.

His lips quirked, and he fought back a smile.

Good.

Inside the boardroom, Malcolm's assistant Nina was busy distributing copies of the meeting agenda and folders with the relevant documentation.

Laying his binder down at his spot at the head of the table, Malcolm beckoned her aside, relaying the information about the two humans outside and asking her to bring them water once she was done.

Then, the meeting began.

The preliminaries rushed by; the call to order, roll, approval of the agenda and the previous meeting's minutes, and on and on.

All the while, Malcolm felt Blake's eyes on him, like the cool shiver of a blade against his skin.

His thoughts fell back to the days of middle school, when Blake's whims and vagaries determined the social standing of all those under his sway.