Chapter 12: Disciple of the Honored One

Flashback
3rd Person POV
Rias: Hey...Ryota!

Ryota: Yo, what's up?

Rias: Come over here.

Ryota: Huh...? What's going on...? What're you doing Rias?

Rias: Come on! Don't be shy...! Just come over here!

Ryota: Okay, alright...Why's your arm around me like that...? What's going on? What're we doing?

Rias: We're taking a selfie!

Ryota: For real...? You could've said that in the first place.

Rias: Come on now...Get ready Ryota!

Ryota: Ready when you are.

Rias: Aaaaaand smile!

In a moment of a click, a selfie was born.

End of FlashbackNightfallRyota's ApartmentRyota stood alone in his room

End of Flashback
Nightfall
Ryota's Apartment
Ryota stood alone in his room. He stared at his phone of the selfie of him and Rias on that day.

Ryota: It was a weekend when we took that together.

Ryota closed his eyes and sighed. He then closed out the photo and turned to his contacts. He found one that stood out. He pushed into it and made a call.

After a few rings, there was an answer.

???: It's been a while, Ryota.

Ryota let out a little smile.

Ryota: Yeah...It has.

???: How've things been?

Ryota: They've been good...But...I've had time in which...I feel as if I'll slip away...I'll lose who I am.

???: Sounds like you've been through something rough.

Ryota: Yeah, you could say that.

???: Listen close. Understand that the reason why I admire your passion, your fever, it is because you're not like any other sorcerer. Not even Gojo would have.

Ryota: And that is?

???: Something we sorcerers do is give up our emotions. But you refuse to sacrifice your emotions. Because you choose to treasure those emotions, you push yourself and drive with those emotions to run your passion.

Ryota did not respond.

???: So when I think of whenever I want to have somebody on my side...I'll always bet on Hinokami.

Ryota at that moment was silent in awe.

Afterwards, he closed his eyes with a smile.

Ryota: Yeah...You've always knew what to say, just like I have for you.