CHAPTER 7

I finally asked her what was on my mind.

"Will you share seats with me on the bus during the trip?"
"Yeah.. Who else would I sit with then?", she answered.
I smiled to myself as we walked out of school.

We waited for my bus to arrive.

"Bro, call me at 5 am, otherwise I'd keep sleeping at home and y'all would be gone.", Nisha said.
"Bruh- how come you will be asleep? I am so excited, I am sure I'd be up the entire night."
"Over-excitement is not good you know.."
"Yeah but still-"
"Look your bus is here."
"Bye. Reach home safely."
"Yeah don't worry and don't forget to give me a ring."
"Yeah."

I packed my bag and I was just waiting for the morning.

3rd Feb, 2023

"2:47 am", The clock said.
I was unable to sleep and was repeatedly looking at the clock.

"4:30 am", The alarm rang.
I could finally get up from bed. I took the towel and went to take a shower. After some time I came out of the shower, dressed up and my hair wrapped with the towel. I saw the clock, "5:23 am".
"OH SHOOT! I had to call her, or that sleepyhead would end up getting late."

"The number you're calling is not answering. Please try again later."

"Where did she go..."
I left my phone and went to the kitchen. I saw my mom walking out of her room.

"You're ready already?", she said.
"Yeah..." I answered.
"So excited?"
I grinned at her.

After having my breakfast I went back to my room. I unlocked my phone and sat on the bed.
"One missed call from Nisha at 5:42 am.", I read the notification.
"Uh she's up I see."

I bid my mom bye and left for school.
As I reached school, I found Jules, Ava and Ashu sitting in a queue. They saw me and called me to sit, pointing at the place they kept for me. Sammy was not going so she wasn't present there. Nisha and Tanni had still not arrived.
I went and sat down.

"Where are Tanni and Nisha?", I asked.
"Not here yet.", Ava replied.
"Oh you brought your DSLR.", I said.
"Hmm yeah."
"We'll click atleast 200 pictures on this DSLR.", Jules said.
"I'm not giving it to anyone. My 25K DSLR.", Ava informed.
We all laughed.

They chatted as I kept looking at the entrance to see if Nisha was coming. Tanni arrived and I waved at her to come sit with us but she couldn't see me and went to sit at the back.
After some time Nisha arrived. I waved at her excitedly.

"Look at how pumped up she is.", Ava chuckled.

As soon as Nisha came and sat with us the teacher arrived and signalled us to get up and walk towards the bus.
We occupied the first few seats of the bus. After everyone was seated, The driver started the engine and off we went. We started at 7am sharp. Nisha was seated beside me, Ava and Jules sat on the seats in front of us and Tanni and Ashu behind us.
Our journey to our first destination of the day, The World Trade Center was quite melodious with songs like Dandelions, Perfect, Until I met you and so on. We sang and enjoyed all way long, gulping down the sandwiches and fruit juice that we got as snack.

 We sang and enjoyed all way long, gulping down the sandwiches and fruit juice that we got as snack

We looked around the the beautiful structure and all the magnificent attractions of the place. We learnt about the terrorist attacks faced by the people here and about the Twin Towers and moved on to the 9/11 Memorial and Museum.
After that, in about 30 mins we reached The Ellis Island. We caught account of the artistic scenery of this small island and gained multiple educational information about it. We also visited The Statue of Liberty. Amidst all the fun, I and one other got into trouble. Amara, a new transferred student of our class had just started to mingle with us. While getting down from the bus as we reached Ellis Island, she tripped and fell over the rocky surface and was in pain. I too got a bit too thrilled and fell over the rough edgy surface and got my knees bleeding.

"How come are you so messy?! You can't take care of yourself.", Nisha said being concerned.
"Uh um-"
"Shut up and come with me."

By the time my injury was treated, it was already time for lunch.
It was decided that we would have our lunch on the grounds of Ellis Island. So, the staffs had put on the tables and set the dishes on the table. We waited in a queue to take our plates. There were a short number of chairs and we let the teachers sit on ours so we had to wait till the chairs were empty. One by one Ava, Jules and the others sat down. There was only one chair left and I insisted Nisha to sit down and eat comfortably. She took my hand and made me sit down on the chair and herself sat on the arm of the chair.
I smiled to myself at her action and continued eating.

"Will you eat this?", I asked Nisha pointing at the two pieces of chicken on my plate.
"Why?", she asked back.
"I'm full."
She took the food from my plate and put it in her mouth.

After lunch was over we went to visit the Statue of Liberty Museum and the Ellis Island Museum

After lunch was over we went to visit the Statue of Liberty Museum and the Ellis Island Museum. We looked around wonderful archaeological structures and spent a good time there.
While we were going from one museum to the other, we met with another school which had come for an excursion on the same day. It was naturally very crowded and we lost track. I got lost in the crowd. I was left behind and had to walk amongst people I was not familiar with.
All of a sudden I felt a hand hold mine.