1 - Bro Chill

Months earlier

Months earlier

Skye had been asleep for longer than two hours, and I went from lying with her, to pacing the living room, to lying with her again.

North's wonderful threat had been weeks ago, and Skye had been clueless to it ever since.

I refused to scare her with someone as worthless as him.

Her mom was still on her business trip that she went on weeks ago; Skye told me she wouldn't be back until next month. Although, Skye's father would come back weeks after that.

Had Skye been taking care of herself all these years?

I'd been up every night, pacing, making sure there were no signs of North, making sure that Skye was safe.

I would only let myself sleep when I knew Skye was safe; when all the doors were locked, when all the windows were shut, when all the blinds were covering every inch of the outside.

I didn't want him watching her. I'd been sick of all this torment he placed on us. I was SICK of it.

I finally stopped pacing, gazing down at Skye softly as she still remained asleep on the couch.

It was Friday; she had school today, and I went with her. Afterwards, she did all her homework and then finally settled down with me and a box of delicious popcorn.

We ate it together while binging Vampire Diaries.

I didn't know how she made the popcorn so good, it was so buttery and salty and perfect. Mine was always burnt.

Well, after a couple episodes, Skye fell asleep on my shoulder, and I let her remain there for a while before I stood and paced the room again.

North hadn't shown himself for a couple weeks.

Well, I'd seen him, but he made no moves for weeks.

It was relieving but also unsettling.

When he was silent, it meant he was planning something.

Something bad.

Skye suddenly shifted, making me gaze down at her, but she just settled further on the couch, still sound asleep.

I dropped onto an armchair then, watching her.

What was I supposed to do? I didn't know North was or what he was planning. I didn't know if he was going to go straight for the kill or kidnap her first.

He'd done both before when he... took control over me.

I cringed, my body folding in on itself.

I let him kiss her. I let him hold her.

Never again.

No.

I remained in place, watching Skye curiously.