Ch. 18 Therapy

The next morning, I went to the Chief's surgery and observed closely. I watched everything he did. He was perfect. His hands were steady, confident.

"Britt, will you hold the retractor?"

I nodded and did as he asked.

When our surgery was over, he spoke, "Britt, think you can close?"

"Yes, sir."

I sutured the patient and scrubbed out. I grabbed his chart and updated it. Then, I went to check on a couple other patients.

My pager buzzed. Peter's blood work was ready.

I went to the lab and picked up the results. I rushed them to Dr. Cole, who sighed.

"Not good, huh?"

"We'll just have to be more aggressive. I'll tell them. Can you keep your distance from them today?"

"Yes, ma'am."

She nodded.

I went to the E.R., where a woman ran in.

"Help! Help!" she shouted.

I rushed over. "Ma'am, what's wrong? Are you hurt?"

She looked scared, but she had no sign of injury. She handed me a swaddle of blankets and spoke, "It's not mine. I found it."

I looked.

It was a baby. He looked so small, so innocent. He couldn't have been more than a few weeks old.

I took him to a stretcher.

Dr. Phillips came over. "Dr. Malone, what do we got?"

"A baby. A woman found him. I was about to examine him, but he can't even hold his head up."

"Then, you hold him while I do the exam, okay?"

I nodded and rubbed his back.

She finished her exam and nodded. "He's probably just malnourished. Let's get him to the pediatric unit. I'll notify the police and social services. Can you weigh him and take his vitals?" she asked.

"Of course."

I took him upstairs and weighed him. I took his temperature and his vitals. He was perfect. I couldn't imagine abandoning him.

Dr. Phillips came in and took charge. She put him in a crib and sighed.

"What do we do?"

"You'll monitor him until the social worker comes, okay? Make sure he's all right."

I nodded.

She walked off.

I sighed and left the room.

All morning, I kept a close eye on him. A woman approached me.

"Social services," she spoke. "I got a call about a baby."

I led her to him. "He's healthy, but a little malnourished. He should be just fine."

She nodded.

Dr. Phillips came in. "Britt, Dr. Hamilton is paging you, said it was an emergency. You can go."

I nodded and went to Dr. Hamilton.

Jake stood with her.

"You're back again?" I asked.

"Jake has an appointment in psych. He wants you to go with him. I cleared it with the Chief and it's okay," Dr. Hamilton explained. "You were on my service anyway. Where have you been?"