Ch. 44 Home is Where the Science Is

When I walked off the stage, Dr. Welch pulled me into a big hug. He kissed my cheek and smiled, "That was remarkable, Bridget!"

It was the first time he'd called me by my first name. I sighed, resting my forehead on his shoulder. "I'm so surprised I didn't faint."

He chuckled and released me.

Our Chief hugged me next. He smiled, "I'm so proud to call you my student."

"Thank you, sir."

The NIH Chief smiled. "Would you like to see where you'll be working?"

I nodded, "Please."

He took us on a tour of their facility.

It was beautiful. Everything about it was stunning. Anyone would be lucky to work there.

He led us into a skills lab...on steroids. He smiled, "Dr. Malone, this is your research lab."

I froze. What? I blinked. My own research lab? How cool!

"I haven't agreed to come, yet."

"We're very confident. We wanted to show you all that is ours is now yours."

"And Sgt. Major thought you were marrying him," our Chief spoke.

I smirked at him.

He smiled.

My phone rang. Jake.

"Speak of the devil."

"Do you need to get that?" the NIH Chief asked.

"No, he can wait."

He nodded. He led us to his office. He sat at his desk and had us sit. "Dr. Malone, we'd really like to have you and your research here."

"And her surgical skills?"

"She can work in the hospital to continue her surgical career. Maybe here a couple days a week, there the rest of the time. We want her mind, but we also want her to succeed."

There was a knock on the door.

"Ah. Perfect timing. Come in."

A group of people in real scrubs came in.

"Dr. Malone, this is your research team. You'll be in charge of them; they'll do whatever you ask. They will be doing research while you continue your surgical residency."

My eyes widened as I turned back to him. "I already have a team?"

He nodded with a sincere smile. He placed a contract in front of me.

I looked at my Chief.

"We're only a call away."

I nodded and picked up the pen. I signed the contract a couple places and sighed.

The Chief stood and shook my hand. "When can you start?"

"I can't move my patients; there are trial patients in Virginia."