5| Pain and Panic

Dedicated to:ShortcakeMistress

Thanks a tonne for being a sweetheart and making me feel proud of my work!! <<33

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

A short note: I have had a few readers telling me to increase the pace. I'm so very sorry, I realize that the story is going too slow but I promise to increase the pace from now! And also, I am very very busy nowadays so I can't update on any other day but Saturday. I promise that I'll never leave you hanging with an excuse of a writer's block cause there's nothing like a writer's block in my dictionary ;)

Please continue supporting me, I love all of you :):):)

"What if the kid you bullied at school, grew up, and turned out to become the only surgeon who could save your life?"

~Lynette Mather

Claire's POV

Tuesday arrived. Just like every tedious day, I ambled down the halls of Whitney High without meeting anybody's gaze, stopping only when I reached my locker.

While I was busy with my locker, I fantasised about how magical it would be to have a boyfriend.

I would have someone to call mine. I would have someone who would go out of his way to make me blissful. I would have someone to hold me close when I'm breaking and falling apart. I would have someone to connect all my wrecked dreams together.

But that wasn't going to happen because I was Claire Annesley - just a dreary and boring nerd. Who would want me to be their special one?

It was all so easy for girl like Venetia Grey. She had the body, the beauty and the fame that every guy swoons over. On the other hand, girls like me who, even after trying, are nowhere close to being anything like her.

The sound of a clink echoed in the air from my left, breaking me from my thoughts. Involuntarily, my head turned to explore. Of course, it had to be Dylan Summers standing two lockers away from mine, working on the locker that belonged to him.

Bashfully, I turned my stare away, chewing nervously on my lower lip. All my attempts were helpless because an invincible temptation was tugging on my eyes to look at him. Steadily, without moving my head, I shifted my pupils to view him.

I had never been this close to him before. His delicious, towering posture was leaning against the locker, his long, dark bangs falling all over his forehead.

I swallowed, furrowing my brows. How is he even real?

He bolted his locker shut when he was done, adjusting his books in his hands. Surprisingly, his eyes suddenly shot up and met mine. I was busy glaring at him when the most unbelievable thing happened.

He smiled at me.

At me.

My heart gave a thunderous thud against my chest. For a few milliseconds, it was like my heart fluttered away to heaven. I felt a drop of sweat soothingly trickled down the side of my face.

His smile lasted for five seconds and then he was walking away. When he was completely out of sight, I took a deep breath in and fisted my hands tightly. Did that just happen? Or was I dreaming?

Thousands of questions were frenziedly gushing into my mind when a familiar scent of cologne consumed my senses.

Someone gently placed a pair of hands on both of my eyes from behind me.