A family together again

(Italics are continued flashbacks from previous chapters)
********

"This place sure has...changed..." the Joker grinned as he took in his surroundings. Frost and the men had driven the Joker, Harley, and Mila to the club they were at earlier.

Mila was a tad shaken up but did her best to calm down with a drink in hand. Her legs were crossed as she looked up at her parents who were grinning wildly at one another, looking around, talking to each other.
Occasionally Harley would cup The Jokers cheeks and kiss him gently. He would sometimes wrap his arm around her and kiss back feverishly.

They were denied the simple pleasure of each other's touch, and Mila knew this very well. She was glad they could go back to being themselves, no matter how insane or immoral they may have been.
She chuckled to herself as she grinned at them. They noticed and broke away from one another, coming down from their high. They walked to her and sat at her sides, the Joker on one side, Harley on the other.

"Our family is together," Harley sighed as she hugged Mila's neck and brought her as close as possible, holding her contently.

Frost stood guard outside the entrance of the VIP room along with other henchmen who had broken into the Asylum.
The entire club was surrounded by heavily armed men, most wearing masks and costumes. The rest were wearing suits and fedora's.

"I used to own this place ya know?" The Joker said as he put on his heavy purple leather coat. He was shirtless wearing just his Arkham sweatpants.
"Actually boss...you still do." Frost said with a smile. He dug into his pockets and produced a document, presenting it to the Joker.

"After you were caught, the cops wanted to seize it and shut it down, so I bought it." Frost spoke as he dug into his other pocket and brought out a set of keys. He held them towards The Joker who took them reluctantly.

"It's yours again, boss. Think of it as a welcome back gift." Frost chuckled.

The Joker laughed out, holding his sides as he twisted towards Mila.
He straightened back up as he kept his grin on her.
He threw the keys to her.

Mila caught them, confused. She looked up at Harley who was grinning at her.

"Um...what?" Mila asked.
"It's yours! I mean, it's the least we can do for...your...brave efforts. Breaking us out of Arkham Asylum? Mila, you really are my daughter!" The Jokers eyes glistened with happiness as he looked down grinning at her. His silver teeth were almost as sparkly as his eyes at the moment.

Mila closed her eyes and clutched the keys. The feeling of being acknowledged was overwhelming and she did break them out to prove herself to the Joker.
She broke them out because they were her parents. She wanted a chance to be with her true parents.
The mission, though, was executed just to prove that she really was his daughter, to prove to him that she was his own flesh and blood.
But she wasn't happy about it, about having to prove to him rather than him believing her, even with the appropriate proof.
She wasn't smiling as she stood up and threw the keys at where she was sitting.
She sighed and walked out of the room. Harley's and Jokers eyes followed her, confused at her expression.

"Was it something I said?" The Joker giggled mockingly.
"Puddin, she's upset," Harley said as she got up quickly and ran after Mila.

Batman watched as Harley and The Joker were restrained with every possible method, a look of defeat etched on both their faces.
He knew what they were thinking.

Batman looked down at his hand. He held the little clown doll he had promised to deliver to their child.
He didn't know why he'd ever do Joker and Harley such a favor, they were both terrible people.
But that little baby, that innocent child, wasn't at fault. She deserved to be happy and she deserved that simple gift. After all, it seemed that the parents did want the best for the child.

Batman sighed as he leapt away from the scene.

Entering the hospital he heard the commotion of doctors and nurses in the room they were operating. He walked in to see the baby laying limp on the table as nurses wiped their tears and doctors worked through their emotions to try and have the baby survive.

Her wound was stitched and Batman peered at the operating table to see a single bloody bullet. He hissed at the memory of how the baby was inflicted by her own father.
But not purposely.

One of the doctors dragged Batman out suddenly.

"You're a hero but this may be psychologically scarring, even for you," the older doctor spoke.
Batman smiled. "How is she?"

"She is expected to survive. No nerve damage, so that's a blessing. She did die twice, but we were able to revive her. Overall the little baby is strong and healthy. Her parents had taken very good care of her." The doctor spoke with a smile.

Batman was taken aback after hearing that. So those criminal, insane lunatics were star parents who actually loved their baby. Who wouldn't love their own child? But their unpredictable nature led Batman to question just about anything they ever did or said.

He sighed and looked down at the little clown doll.
"This belongs to the baby. The parents requested specifically that the child be given this. It belongs to her. They want her to take it with her wherever she may go." Batman spoke.

The doctor nodded and took it.
"Are they not coming to get her?" The doctor asked.

Batman shook his head.
"They're gonna be locked up for a long time," Batman said.
"Understood. So they're bad people. Shame. Such a beautiful baby," the doctor said as he took the clown doll.

"They're....bad. But not in the way you might think..." Batman said, confused at his own words.