Chapter 6: An Offer

During school, Vermon was the center of attention. Not in a way she'd like, though. Everyone stared at her as if she were some alien creature. Kids stopped in the hallways whenever she would walk by. Teachers were speechless around her. No one said anything.

You'd think being on the front paper would be exciting, however, when you get the nickname, ghost whisperer, no one really wants to talk to you.

"Hey, Venom!" A boy called her name during lunch time

Vermon turned around. "It's Vermon," She replied.

"It should be Venom. You freak," he said.

Vermon turned her back to him and stared at her lunch. Cold pizza on a cold day surrounded by cold people. No one talked to Vermon during lunch and it got real depressing. Not even the few friends she had spoken to her.

After school, Vermon sat on the school bench and waited for her mother to pick her up. While waiting, she was approached by an unfamiliar old woman holding a handkerchief in her hand. She had stacks of bags underneath eyes. Her face was pale and full of sadness. She sat next to Vermon but looked straight ahead.

"Everyone's saying you have a gift," the old woman stated. The two of them made eye contact and the longer Vermon stared at her the more she was able to realize who's she's sitting next to. It's the lunch lady.

"Yes. But people are afraid of me now," Vermon says. "No one talks to me anymore since the newspapers."

A few kids and their parents whispered as they walked by Vermon then spoke louder when they  were away from her. The old woman nods her head slowly. "It's gift. You're special, Vermon." She placed her hand over Vermon's. "I need your help. I will give you 300$ if you help me reach my daughter. Help me talk to her."

"Vermon!" her  mother shouted from a distance. "Come on."

Vermon turned away from her mother and faced the old woman. "I will help you."

 Her mother angrily approached them. "Young lady, how dare you turn away from me while I'm talking to you?" 

"The cafeteria lady needs help, mommy." she said.

The old woman stood up and stuck out her hand for a handshake. "It's June. Nice to meet you."

"Jacqueline, how do you do?" she shook the woman's hand briefly.

"I'm offering your daughter 300$ if she can help me reach my daughter," June said.

Jacqueline smiled sympathetically. 'We're not a business and I'm afraid this is not something I want her to get into-"

June pulled money from her purse and shoved it into Jacqueline's hand desperately. "1000 dollars. Please, I need to know the truth."

Vermon and her mother exchanged glances. Even though Jacqueline hated the idea of her daughter doing this, she would never turn down 1000 dollars.