Chapter Thirty-Four: Bonds

When Aurora returned to their cell, Eri pummeled her with questions. She seemed hesitant of the arrangement Aurora had made for their release, but it could not be helped. After Aurora had been taken Eri had dared to pace to the gate and look out at intervals in search of her. But she had not been the only one worried.

Tezaro shouted down orders to check for any injury that Red Fox had inflicted on her. He had even demanded that neither of them conceal anything from him to which Aurora shouted a crude epithet back. That finally quieted him if not appeased him.

At Aurora's insult, Eri had initially been shocked that she had spoken so strongly to Tezaro. No one did that. Then she laughed and hugged Aurora. Lucas's laughter joined hers as well, flooding Aurora with relief that he was in the cell with Tezaro and also unharmed.

By dusk Owen had begun to stir and demanded to know what had happened and where was his sister. His magical abilities remained stunted though his physical strength gradually returned.

When morning finally arose, Tezaro, Lucas, and Owen were one by one escorted out of their cell and led away. Soon afterward the bridge was extended to their cell and the guards opened the door motioning for both of them to follow.

Aurora took her first step to the bridge but was stopped by Eri's iron grip on her arm. She half turned and noticed Eri's wide eyes and clenched jaw.

"Hit me." Eri ordered. Aurora shook her head in confusion. "Hit me. Knock me out or something. It's the only way I'm going to be able to get past the bridge."

"What?" Aurora was in disbelief, but Eri was resolved.

"Do it. I'll try not to hit you back."

A nervous chortle slipped out of Aurora. There was no way she could punch Eri. Even if she could summon the will to do it, she doubted she had the strength to knock her out.

She also didn't want to end up on the floor if Eri could not prevent her instinct to fight back. She had to think fast.

"Guards! We need blindfolds. Uh, the Red Fox didn't want for us to know how to, uhm, find this place." The guards looked at each other uncertain what to do.

Aurora held her breath. Would they believe her lie? Her knees nearly collapsed in relief when one of the guards produced two rags.

Once on the ground they were reunited with the others. Lucas did not waste any time and quickly snatched up Aurora in a hug. There was a small twitch in Tezaro's locked jaw, but no one noticed. Owen and Eri reassured one another while Tezaro asked questions. "Where is my sword? And the rest of our weapons? Our mounts? What about our supplies?"

Delrynn was the lone remaining elf at the ground level with them. "We have placed your weapons alongside your mounts in that direction. I was instructed to caution you. Lord Fennaris's army is on the move. They were spotted headed north to the borders of Armindia. If that is you destination you should find an alternate route."

He stared directly at Aurora and everyone followed his gaze. When they returned their focus to Delrynn he was already gone.

They advanced in the direction they had been given and a short distance later they came across their mounts. Beside them they found their weapons and discovered their bags filled with fresh supplies. It didn't sit well with Tezaro.

The Red Fox seemed to know too much about their intentions and he doubted that the information on Fennaris's movements was coincidental. The sooner they were out of the forest the better.

Tezaro began to bark out orders. "Gather your things quickly and mount. We ride west to Ilsurni Castle and we ride hard. If the information we were given is correct, we must reach it and be done before Fennaris returns." A more perfect opportunity they could not have hoped for.